Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_jurgensen

marie and other rosers help please!!!!

Hi guys,

I have a real conundrum with part of my flower bed. The back 1/3 of my west facing bed, which is the main rose garden and perrenial bed needs serious help, and I'm all out of ideas.

the bed is 3' deep about 15' long. It was planted with a mish mash of perrenials by the previous owner and is currently a terrible mess. I've got tall stuff in the front, short stuff in the back, everything is growing into each others, theres basically no rhyme or reason to anything. But I can fix that.

My plan for this section of the bed is a warm toned theme, with tones of yellows oranges and reds. I've currently got yellow, red, and orange tiger and martagon lillies going in here along with red monardia, yarrow, feverfew, rudbeckia etc.

Here my problem... This is SUPPOSED to be a rose garden with complementing perrenials. But I can't find roses to work. i only have 1 purchased so far- Baron girard D'Lain a medium red Hybrid Perepetual with white picoteeing.

I need several others to anchor the bed. Here is what I need and want in these roses:

Coloring to complement the bed

OGR shape to the flower- no hybrid teas, grandifloras floribundas etc. old fashioned looking, or maybe a few species

SOME fragrance- no smellie, no plantie

The ability to survive our winters with moderate winter protection IE a chickenwire cage with oak leaf mulch

I'm at my wits end, everything I think of seems to fall short somehow, so I'm going to the experts. Please help!!!

Comments (9)

• althea_gw
    18 years ago

My advice is to look over Sam Kedem's selection. He is in Hastings if you want to talk to him in person. I think he also sells at the St. Paul Farmer's Market, which incidentally opens this weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: kedem roses

• john_w
    18 years ago

You do have a problem. OGRs for our climate that are cane hardy come in three colors: white, pink or red. The reds are cool reds, that is, with blue tint. The OGRs in yellow and orange are the true teas but these fail north of zone 7.

That leaves you with the Austins. These are not hardy with the protection you describe, but if you get one own-root you'll have one that dies to the ground and then regrows from the base each spring. I have two in those colors that do this: 'Crocus Rose' and 'Tamora.'

There are several yellow and apricot *shrub* roses (like Austins) that die back and regrow this way. Look the the Buck roses. Many of these have a different full flower (read, non-HT) in yellows and apricots. Hardy orange roses don't exist. They require tipping. A near-orange that does well for me is the Brownell rose, 'Lafter.' Another is 'Westerland.' It had that one for several years, but it died twowinters ago.

'Tamora' has a wonderful scent. same with 'Westerland.' 'Crocus' has a light perfume one can detect if you're really close to the bloom. 'Lafter' is somewhere in between.

The warm-colored roses are my favorites, so I have lots of experience shoveling out dead experiments each spring. The ones I mentioned, above, do pretty well for me without much protection. This spring I have 'Teasing Georgia' coming through mail-order.

If you go to Kedem's, make sure you buy a plant with blooms on them. Too many times have I purchased mislabled roses. I don't go there anymore. A better nursery is Spring Valley Roses. That place is gorgeous, too.

• selkie_b
    18 years ago

"Here I come to save the day!..." Oh wait :)

I will have Apothecary's Rose and possible one or two Mary Queen of Scots that spread by root shoots at the GW Swap - you want one? Both of them will bloom only once a season - but OH the SMELLS! And the colors! The MQofS is a very simple pink bushy rose with gorgeous foliage and habit, the Apothecary's is deep deep, blousy, burgundy and so very very fragrant. I have just acquired "April Moon" from Heirloom Roses and it looks tough as nails - soft yellow, own-root perpetual. You must go "own-root" 'tis the only way here! I'd recommend "Pleasant Valley" but it's no longer available anywhere - if I can get some cuttings to start we'll soon see about that- it's related to the mutabilis but hardy here. Dainty little simple flowers, very sweet fragrance, with colors shifting peach to purple to yellow. Dart's Dash is a very hardy perpetually blooming, deep magenta pink - again great fragrance and huge flowers. For a goldeny-orange - try "Topaz Jewel" - a bit softer on fragrance, but wonderful rugosa type. I tend to order online because it's hard to get anywhere with only one car in the family at this time. I order from www.rosefire.com (they are in the midwest and VERY VERY GOOD!) www.heirloomroses.com and www.uncommonrose.com I've had excellent luck with all three and they all only sell own-root. They take longer to establish, but once they do they are acclimatised to YOUR bed.

-Marie

• Karen Jurgensen (Zone 4 MN)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I was beginning to despair of ever finding any warm colors that might work!

Marie- isn't the Apothecary rose Gallica Officianalis- I always thought that was kinda magenta colored? I am getting Rosa Mundi, which I understand is the variegated version of this. I'm an equal opportunity rose lover- I'll take repeating or once bloomers! I just don't enjoy the newer rose forms of the hybrid teas and florbundas etc as much as I like the older species and OGR forms. I'm definitely sticking with own root- I learned my lessons watching my moms rose garden as a child- no matter how bad the winters, those own rooted roses just kept coming back!

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

Yep it is "officianalis"! Mine is very double (they vary a bit) and DEEP DEEP burgundy/magenta hey...

Here's a pic, though this one had been sun touched a bit:

Here is a link that might be useful:

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

And Mary Queen of Scots too

Here is a link that might be useful:

• john_w
    17 years ago

Marie, I'm wondering if your Apothecary Rose (R. gallica) is something else. Apothecary rose has almost a single rose of a brilliant magenta color.

The rose you're showing looks more like 'Tuscany Superb' another gallica, very double, with maroon-purple coloration.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Apothecary Rose' at HelpMeFind

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

john, it was labeled as such and doubly labeled "Red Rose of Lancaster" (which is the same darn thing) It's the exact same habit, color, and even occasionally (as gallica does) has a white stripe here and there (whence Rosa Mundi came from). It does NOT have the much tamer (in relation) habit of the Tuscany Superb ... almost wish it did *LAUGH*. That's the cool thing about ancient (and I mean ANCIENT - that was the first truly "hybridized" rose) there are weird varients. Some of mine ARE more single on the same blasted plant!

I think it just plain likes it's location. It smells right - that's for certain!

-Marie

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

Ooo ooo... do need to mention - it doesn't get full sun all day either so most of the blosoms don't fade out. The ones on the end in a bit more sun ARE lighter.

-Marie

Sponsored