Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenpotter

June 4th date for plant exchange and 'gardening tea'

zenpotter
13 years ago

The date and time are, June 4th 2:30 pm.

I am starting a new posting with the date and time to help me keep track of who will be or may be coming.

I will send a d-mail to you with the details as to address etc. closer to the date. Since our spring is later this year the date is later than last year.

Please email me with your email address if you don't want the information via a d-mail.

If you are a newbie and don't have plants to bring, you will get to choose plants just not in the first round. Don't worry you won't go home empty handed.

The idea of an exchange tea went so well last year that is what it will be again this year. Please bring snacks and goodies to share.

Comments (57)

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

It's on the calendar so please put me down as a hopeful. I'll let you know for sure as the date gets closer.

Now hoping for a bit warmer weather or at least let the wind stop blowing so much and I can start digging plants. There is a lot of green poking up through the ground already.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are on the list. My wintersowing is in the garage just in case.

• mantorvillain
    13 years ago

It's now entered in all the multiple calendars around the house (work, mine, hers - LOL). Since this isn't DG will you be sending out stuff from here or should we send you our emails separately?
    ...just making sure
    8-)
    Will

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will send it out from here, to you or her or work all three if you want.

• may8
    13 years ago

Re-post from "Plant exchange" chain:

Hi Pauline, thank you so much for hosting. We really appreciate it. Please count me in. I should have some dahlias, canna, and yes, more raspberries, if there are interests. It would be nice if we list what we want here too. If I have them, I'll bring them. Hate to go thru digging them out and no one wants them.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

May,

We may not get everyone to put out the lists. How about we ask if anyone wants raspberries so you know if you should dig them?

Pauline

Who wants Raspberries? If you do post it here.

• buncobabe2u
    13 years ago

Pauline,
    I got your email and I don't know if I told you or not, but I'm planning on attending. Thanks for hosting.

May,
    I would like some "Canna's".

Other swappers,
    I would also be interested in some light yellow "creeping jenny" for pots and tropical style plants/bulbs.

If it ever gets warm in Minnesota I'll try to look at what I have that I might bring and post it here.

Mary

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mary,

Thanks for letting me know.

May I am interested in Dahlias.

Pauline

• may8
    13 years ago

Mary and Pauline, I will bring both Cannas and Dahlias for sure. Will bring anything else that I have, if you (anyone) post what you want. Anyone wants pink lily-of-the-valley? Please feel free to look at my trade list, although I have not updated it for a while.

I would like very fragrant flowers and fruits, except raspberries. Ha! Ha! Ours are red and have berries from late June to early August, but mostly in July. If you have yellow/orange ones or earlier or later varieties, I would like them too. We love fresh homegrown organic fruits.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

May Hopefully people will start to ask for what they want here or update their trade list and let us know.

To be truthful yesterday as I was in the garden I started to look at what I had to dig up and don't have a list yet.

• adamterrie
    12 years ago

I intend to attend.

I have a lot of digging to do in the next few weeks. I should have several mums and much more to bring. Does anyone have any monkshood? I have tried twice with this plant, with no success. Or Yucca? I have a small one that seems to be taking forever to do anything. If you do, and are looking for something specific, I could do a pre-arranged swap. Please email me. Thanks!!!!

- Adam

• icekream
    12 years ago

hi. i'm new to the plant exchange and am interest in receiving more information. what city will it be held in? thanks

• greenthumbelina7
    12 years ago

Hi Pauline,
    Consider my a possible. We are moving the weekend before so in theory I will already have my entire garden dug up and potted. Things might still be too hectic but if I can make it I will.
    I will probably have some irises, daylilies, lupine, fern, hostas, maybe some poppies. Nothing too special.
    Thanks,
    Tina

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope you can make it.

Tell me how much of your garden are you moving? We are starting to look at houses and I wonder just how much I can take with me.

• jel48
    12 years ago

We're not sure yet. Gary sure wants to come.. he's enjoyed the swap so much the past couple of years. And, of course, I always love it. BUT.... my son and daughter in law are giving me a grandbaby in July and there is a shower in Rochester the week after the swap so that would be 8+ hour (each way) drives two weekends in a row and I'm not sure whether I (or the pocketbook) are up to it. Put us down as a maybe. I do have a dozen lupines potted up, just in case...

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are on the list. That is a lot of driving for you and your pocketbook.

Congratulations on the grandbaby.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have sent directions to those who have indicated that you will or may be coming to the exchange. If you are coming and didn't get the directions please let me know.

• Julie
    12 years ago

Hi there-
    Count me in!!
    I will have - I bet you can guess- plenty o seedlings! Toms- peppers- lettuce- PUMPKINS!- cukes - MELONS (May, do you like melons?)- Morning glories- amanthus- celosia- sunflowers and MORE!
    I will also have a bunch of other stuff- um, I mean great garden goodies of the potted plant variety!
    Pauline- do you have any special requests, being the hostess n all? R U still planting the hillside with hosta?
    I was wondering if any one had "left over" (like there could ever be left over seeds!) heirloom veg seed? Long runner beans? Toms? Basils? nasturtiums? Gosh- I lost most of my basils AGAIN! I brought em out too soon.
    Any one have pestemons? Elfin pink? Smaller hardy varieties? Unusual "dry" shade plants?
    Adam, remember, I owe you a shovel tour! Bobbie, could you come over some day to help me identify a few things I got from your garden last year, please? Joyce, please try to find time to come over when ever you come to town- I have a few things set aside... Icekream, did you get the info you were looking for? I can sure tell you, you wont want to miss a GardenWeb swap! The food is great and the plants aren't too bad either! LOL! May, I would love some pink lily of the valley! Might you have any herbs? Sandy! Yeah! It will be great to see you again!!! Do you think this might be the year I actually make it out to see your fabulous winter sown garden? I hope so!
    I am looking forward to seeing you all!
    Julie

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

DBF and I would like to attend so please count us in! We are looking forward to the event. Thanks for hosting.

• alaMel
    12 years ago

I was wondering where this will be also. I'm a newbie, but have potted some daylilies to give away anyway. Looking for climates in dark pink and dark purple.

• alaMel
    12 years ago

Clematis, not climates.

• may8
    12 years ago

Hi Julie, glad that you can come and bringing so many goodies! Yes I will bring pink LOV. It is a good "dry" shade plant. Mine grow on a hill and I seldom water them. I do like melons, although, your banana melon did not ripe b/4 freezing. I'll try again. For herbs, I will bring Fo Ti (Ho Shou Wu), oregano and thyme (I think it is thyme). If anyone wants chive, garlic chive and mint, I'll dig them up too. I would like tomato, pepper, sugar baby (or early) watermelon, basil, Thai basil and rosemary.

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

I am also interested.
    Sent you an email.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Julie,

I have some left over seeds. Basil, some tomatoes, and nasturtiums

Thanks for asking what I am interested in. I will take a couple of morning glories and yes I am still adding hosta to my hill.

I am wondering who brought the Chinese cucumbers last year I would love another one.If not that some other cucumbers.

Also looking for marigolds, a passionflower vine, and some some mini iris other than purple.

I am dividing my time between potting some plants and pulling weeds. The weeds are way ahead of me. I was gone for 4 days and I came home to a jungle rather than a garden. My radishes all bolted before they were ready to pull.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hope I have gotten the information about Saturday, to everyone that has asked.

My email account is going crazy so I am having to send my email via the internet.

• jel48
    12 years ago

We are really going to miss being at the swap, but we've made the decision not to come this time. I just can't face the drive two weekends in a row, not to mention the expense with gas so high. I know it's looking ahead a long way, but is anyone planning a fall swap? I'll be looking for good excuses later to drive down and see my new grandson an extra time or two :-)

Julie, I'll email you. I'll be down for the baby shower the weekend following the swap, so maybe we can manage to get together then.

• jel48
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention. I do have a dozen lupines potted up. If anyone is interested, and if Julie didn't mind, I could leave them at her house for you.

• thanh1
    12 years ago

May. I'd like some pink LOV too. Pauline. We may have some cucumber plants (we're not quite done planting yet). If not, I'll bring some seeds. Anyone has any asparagus plants or jack in the pulpit? Thanks.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry you can't make it, but I wouldn't want to make that drive two weekends in a row either.

Seeds will be fine if you don't have a plant or two for me.

• buncobabe2u
    12 years ago

Pauline,
    I didn't receive your email with your address. However if you haven't moved since the last swap, I still have your address.

Mary

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mary,

I just sent you the info.

Pauline

• mantorvillain
    12 years ago

OK, my 'selection' is a bit smaller this year but I've potted up some...
    Rudbeckia...seedling descendants of goldsturm
    Bluebells...not virginia bluebell...got at swap 2-3 yrs ago
    Ladybells...campanula
    Herman's Pride lamium
    Ash Leaf False Spirea (sorbaria sorbifolia)
    Gold Flame (maybe)spirea
    Green and Gold creeping jenny
    Brugmansia...cuttings which are puny but rooting

Will be looking for chinese cucumber also and maybe a few maters...otherwise hope to restrain myself (HA!!!)

JEL - Let me know if you'de like me to pick up something for you and you can swing my my house when you're down to Rochester

Oh yes, I'll bring strawberry rhubarb crisp

Will

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Some of the plants I will bring include: heirloom tomatoes, Broadway Lights daisy, gallardia 'Goblin', trollis, ornamental strawberry, and Brugmansia rooted cuttings of 'Cherub', 1 Bishops Weed (I potted one up thinking someone wanted that but now I don't see the post).

Will, do you have any Zena? My cuttings of Zena died.

May, I am also interested in some pink LOV.

Also would like some tiarella if anyone has some to share.

• tammymn
    12 years ago

I am on nights this week till 0400. I have left over plants I can share at the swap. If I get a late call I won't be there. I am thinking I might be able to come. Pauline can you send me your info. Thanks Tammy

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have some white tiarella potted up.

• joyfulsnowflake
    12 years ago

Hi, Pauline:

Both my parents and I will attend and I've emailed you, but haven't heard back. Please email me the direction to your house. I think my parents are the ones put out the Chinese cucumber last year. I will ask them if they have more to share this year. I have

Goldfinger Potentilla
    Rudbeckia...seedling descendants of goldsturm
    Wedding bell campanula
    White Yarrow .. Achillea?
    Lady's mantel
    Obedient plant
    Bee Balm tall purple

Ying

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will,

I will be shopping your plants for sure.
    Herman's Pride lamium
    Ash Leaf False Spirea (sorbaria sorbifolia)
    Gold Flame (maybe)spirea

All three sound good. Probably will only go for 1 spirea since I don't even know where I will put that. The lamium goes well on my hills.

So far I have potted up:

Ornamental Strawberry Lipstick
    Borage
    Blue aster fall blooming
    Blue aster summer blooming
    Clematis virginiana
    Tiarella white
    Bergenia ciliata
    Blue Globe thistle
    a white spring blooming plant that I can't remember the name of, but it is in bloom right now.

There might be more if the rain stops.

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

Bobbi I have a Lorraine Sunshine for you. (It was you that asked last year, wasn't it?)

I also have
    Dwarf Siberian iris
    Geum Borisii
    French tarragon
    Elderberry seedlings
    Small variety hosta
    Daylily "Nefertiti"

And whatever else I dig up tonight! LOL

Linda

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What color are the dwarf Iris?

I potted up 5 kinds of creeping sedum this afternoon.

Does anyone want any Milkweed? I will pot some up if you do.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Yes, Linda, thank you, I would like Lorraine Sunshine. I tried again from seed and did not get any variegated ones.

Zen, is that white blooming plant iberis?

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It isn't iberis. I finally remembered it is Anemone sylvestris, snowdrop windflower.

• doucanoe
    12 years ago

Dwarf iris are purple flowering.

I just got home and forgot that I have some lysimachia also.

Linda

• selkie_b
    12 years ago

AKKK so out of touch lately! My son graduates end of this week and I've been juggling insanity at home!

Oh Pauline, I so would have loved to come!

Drop me a note sometime... and any of the rest of you as well - I have a LOT of iris and a few other things that could be split out this year for trades.

-Marie

• a.girl.named.max
    12 years ago

Pauline, thank you for hosting this excellent event. This was my first plant exchange and DBF and I had a wonderful time. There were great plants, goodies, and company. Everyone was so generous and the weather was perfect.

Thanks everyone and a special thank you to Pauline.

From a girl named Max

• hostaheaven_618
    12 years ago

Pauline, I wanted to thank you as well. This was my first plant exchange, and I really enjoyed it, I'm just sorry that I couldn't stay for the tea afterwards. Julie, I took one of your plants, but now I've forgotten what the name on the tag was. Should have looked at it one last time before returning the tag to you. Would you please let me know the name?
    Chris

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Thanks to Pauline for hosting a great swap and thanks to everyone else for bringing such a diverse and interesting group of plants. I had a great time during the swap and after at the tea. A perfect late afternoon for treats and conversation with friends.

Missed you, Rick. Thanks for the hellebore.

Looking forward to your eggs at the Fall Swap, May.

I will host the fall swap this September unless someone else really wants to host. Will post more about it in August.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marie,The good news is that there will be a fall swap.
    It was strange without you here.
    May, I think there will a be a big fall swap for your eggs if nothing else.
    Thanks to all of you for coming and I will host again next spring if no one else is looking forward to doing it. I love having it here.

Pauline

• jel48
    12 years ago

Sounds like it was a fun swap! We sure missed being there!

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You were missed.

• may8
    12 years ago

Pauline, thank you so much for hosting! I had a good time and took home many wonderful plants. I have been busy and have not been online or done planting. Yes, I'll bring eggs. Who has a young boy? I found the following Chinese Master Sauce Braised Beef Recipe online:

http://www.dinnertool.com/recipe/view/33137/Chinese-Master-Sauce-Braised-Beef

It is pretty close to my recipe, except I would use rock sugar (raw sugar crystals)instead of regular sugar, rice wine instead of Scotch whisky or dry sherry, and add:

1 cup dark soy sauce
    2 T star anise
    1 T Sichuan pepper

You can buy all of the ingredients in most Asian stores. You can use this recipe for any meat (e.g. chicken and pork) and peeled hard boil eggs. Happy cooking!

Sponsored