Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenpotter

DATE and information for Spring plant exchange

zenpotter
11 years ago

Spring Plant Exchange

When: 2:30pm Saturday April 28th,2012

Who is hosting: Pauline Mitchell (zenpotter)

Where: The address will be sent to each individual showing interest. I don�t want to post it here.

Phone Same as the address

If you do not get the address please let me know I do miss a name now and then.

We will have a " gardening tea". Please bring food to share.

(salads, cakes, vegetables, Minnesota hot dish, etc)

I will provide coffee, tea and a cold beverage.

What to bring with you besides food:

�Plants potted and labeled. *

�Paper and pen to take notes.

�Garden books, magazines, or catalogs to share.

�Empty plastic garden pots to share.

Bring along a box/es or wagon something to carry the plants in.

The swap goes like this:

First, people will give a brief description of the plants they brought.

Then the swap begins.

First round � Choose one plant.

Second round � Choose two plants preferably of different types.

Third round � Three plants again preferably of different types.

Fourth depending on how many plants we have this may or may not be the last round.

At the very end of the rounds you are welcome to take as many as you wish.

After the swap we will eat and talk.

If you prefer not to take home what is left from what you brought, I will put out a sign for free plants. It never takes long for them to disappear. Last year everything went and I have neighbors showing me how well they are doing in their yards.

*If you are working with a new garden and don�t have anything to dig up, yes you may come. As long as you bring something interesting to eat and also you won�t be involved in the first couple of rounds.

Comments (66)

• Mashuga
    11 years ago

Pauline,

My email is camashuga@q.com.

At this point, I am planning to send pink lilies of the valley and salvia (May night (purple) and rose queen (pink).

I would like rhubarb and any vegetable starts, and I will make sure that Alex has a "wish list."

Thanks so much for organizing this swap.

Carol Mashuga

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

Pauline, I am hoping to attend and will probably bring a friend as well. I have so much stuff potted up that I am sure I'll have something for everyone! LOL Here is just a sampling:

Creeping iris
    Dwarf iris
    Lysimachia
    Anise Hyssop
    Dicentra Alba (white beleeding heart)
    Geum Borisii
    Hosta Lancifolia
    Hemerocallis "Edge of Darkness"
    Hemerocallis "Pandora's Box"
    Hemerocallis "Evening Enchantment"
    Cranesbill Geranium

Hope to see you all on the 28th!

Linda

• soilent_green
    11 years ago

To brandislee and others who might have the same concerns regarding what to bring to a plant exchange:

While some irises, hostas, and other plants may be more common than others, that doesn't mean everyone has them, or has enough of them. Also, what may be a common variety to you may not be so common to other people. Lastly, some folks may just be starting out or are starting over and will gladly take any nice healthy plants of any kind to quickly fill major voids in their landscaping. I say be proud to bring what you have to offer or share - your plants will very likely find happy new homes.

The one thing I have noticed at plant exchanges is the importance of presentation - people are much less inclined to take damaged, stressed, or wilted plants of any kind as opposed to nice healthy happy plants, and this is totally understandable. Make the extra effort to offer the same quality plants that one hopes to receive in exchange. Just my two cents worth of advice.

-Tom

• brandislee
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reassurance! I guess I have some inferiority issues with my plants, lol! I'm just not much of an aesthetic gardener- veggie gardening is my "thing" and I am out of my depth when it comes to ornamentals in general.

So far as the veggie seedlings go, now I wish I had started a lot more! I cut back this year because I overdid it last year and ended up loosing some due to not having enough light/too much heat/other mismanagement issues (since I was overwhelmed). Next year I'll just have to keep this swap in mind, lol! Either way, I should have plenty of hostas to bring- I'm slowly trying to reduce the hosta population here. When we moved in here EVERYTHING was planted with hostas- the base of every tree and every possible bed was just full of them. So boring! I dug out a whole border of them last year and moved most of them to the perimeter of the chicken coop. Too bad I thinned out the irises last year- I had a whole bucket of iris bulbs and no idea what to do with them. I also have a few patches of Lily of the Valley I might be able to thin out. I'll just need to find some pots for all of this!

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

speaking of pots, lot's of times people bring pots to give away when they have more than they can use.

• aliyahbukra
    11 years ago

Like others have said, I would actually love some irises and hostas. And I have the perfect places for them.

You also reminded me that we do have rhubarb, but it was looking a bit bedraggled the other day. If it's in decent shape, I'll bring some along.

ZenPotter, perhaps you are waiting to send out your contact info once more people respond, but I just wanted to alert you that I did send you an e-mail and haven't gotten a reply. No rush, obviously, I just wanted to make sure I didn't slip through the cracks!

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am sending the information after I post this. I am glad you let me know.

Anyone else that hasn't gotten my address and you have confirmed that you are coming please let me know.

Pauline

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aliyahbukra I can't find your email will you please send me a new one.

• buncobabe2u
    11 years ago

Pauline,
    I didn't receive the email with the address.

Mary

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mary,

I just sent it. The exchange instructions are at the top of this thread.
    Sorry you didn't get it earlier.

Pauline

• aliyahbukra
    11 years ago

Sorry for the delay. I just resent the message. If you don't receive it, you can just send a message to my user name at gmail dot com.

Thanks!

• Fogi11
    11 years ago

I would like to attend. I have a few different perennials.
    Mark

• doucanoe
    11 years ago

Pauline....no e-mail from you and I don't remember exactly how to get to your place.

Please send your addy to me at doucanoe (at) yahoo (dot) com

I am bringing a friend, possibly two, also.

Linda

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fogill, I don't see an email address for you in the gardenweb information. If you will send me an email to my garden web address I will send you the information.Just click on zenpotter and you will find it at the top of the page.
    --------------------------------

Linda,

The information is on it's way.

Pauline

• jel48
    11 years ago

It's earlier this year. I'm glad I checked now. Gary and I plan to make it. It's kind of early for our plants to be ready, but it was an early spring. I'm pretty sure we can manage some Lupine's, primrose's, foxglove, maybe some oak seedlings. (but I haven't checked yet to see how those are doing), some wild Iris (blue flag type), not sure what else.

Pauline, I think I still have your address and directions but will let you know if I can't find them.

• may8
    11 years ago

I'll be there. What would you like from me? As usual, I am planning to bring red raspberry, canna, dahlia, and anything else that I have, if you (anyone) post what you want.

I would like very fragrant flowers, herbs (rosemary, sage, dill, tarragon, etc.) and fruits, especially blueberry and service berry/June berry. Our red raspberries have berries from late June to early August, but mostly in July. If you have yellow/orange ones or earlier or later red varieties, they'll be good too. If you have sweet apple trees, please bring me some cuttings. Would like to try grafting onto our apple tree.

• Cheri1963
    11 years ago

If Iam not working I will be there.
    Thanks Cheri

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to hear from both of you.
    I chose an early date since most things are up or will be, I hope. After last nights rain I swear the plants grew several inches.

Pauline

• salpal
    11 years ago

Zenpotter, I would love to attend! I thought I could bring some tomatoes (smallish), coleus, I'll try find some perennials (I have few), I can bring some rudbeckia(they are still emerging) does anyone like annual flowers?
    I did send an email to you but not sure if you want replies on this post? Thanks for hosting!

• adamterrie
    11 years ago

I plan on attending. I will have to leave no later than 4:00 p.m., so I will not be able to stick around to eat, chat and be merry. I have perennials of every kind coming out of my %#%#. I will see what I can get potted up before the big dance. I'll see ya'll on the 28th.

- Adam

• buncobabe2u
    11 years ago

Joyce - I would like some Lupines.
    brandislee & Salpal - I would like some tomatoes, peppers, coleus and any other annuals. I got nothing started this year.

Thanks, Mary

• spacetogrow
    11 years ago

I've been looking for a garlic that keeps very well through the winter, because I can't plant it in the Fall. Does anyone have such a garlic? Can garlic be dug up and transplanted? I hope so because I have a few that have been growing in pots on my deck for several weeks but can't get them into the community garden until May 1. The ones I have aren't the best keepers; if you have any good keepers, I would love to experiment with a transplant or two.

I'm planning to bring a few pepper plants, and maybe a few little tomato plants that I recently started, along with some heirloom broccoli starts. I might bring some hybrid bitter melon (Momordica charantia - for Asian style cooking or annual flowering vine).

What I'm generally interested in besides garlic are annual open-pollinated veggies for a small garden. A decent tasting long keeping tomato is on my list, or see the 'Wants' on my trade list if you would like.

I also have some leftover camping fuel, now that my whole family seems to have lost interest in camping. Would it be appropriate to offer that?

Also, I no longer have a functional fold-up chair, but might it be important for people to bring some chairs if they have them?

• Julie
    11 years ago

Whew! I almost missed this!
    Thanks MN Winter Sow Gal- and Cheri for alerting me!
    I do plan on attending and will bring lotsa stuff-
    I do try to keep my eyes open for styro cups and old (plastic) mini blinds to use in the garden should anyone have some they were thinking about recycling....
    Thanks so much Pauline for hosting again- and for the "extra" seed you sent my way last year! Most all are greening up nicely this year!
    I look forward to seeing my old garden "buds" and meeting some new ones as well!
    Julie

• clark106
    11 years ago

I would like to attend. I will bring knautia, dutchmen's breeches, maybe echinops.
    Anna (in Longfellow)

• dianeg_mn
    11 years ago

Hi, I sent you an email (by clicking on your name in the forum), but I haven't received the plant swap info yet, so thought I'd try posting directly to the forum. Thanks, Diane

• dianeg_mn
    11 years ago

Pauline, I just discovered my profile settings in Garden Web were set to not allow receiving emails from anyone - which may be why I haven't received your email with the address for the swap yet! So sorry! I changed my settings, could you please try again?

If anyone else is waiting for an email from Pauline, you might want to check your profile settings and make sure you are allowing emails, at least from members. Diane

• KittyWitty
    11 years ago

I would love to come by with plants and food, and extra seeds too.

mint
    pink mums
    phlox seedling - mix
    upright tiger lily sprouts
    snow on the mountain
    borage

stratified seeds:
    new england aster purple dome
    purple gayfeather
    black eye susan
    pink morning glory

• mantorvillain
    11 years ago

Hi Pauline. It now looks like I'll be able to come up for the swap so will need your addy again. I worked all wknd but high on my list of priorities today is getting out and digging/potting up things to bring up.
    Nice to see such a great turnout this year!
    Will

• jel48
    11 years ago

Hi Pauline. Could you resend me your address and directions too? I've got all that in my saved emails on my desktop PC (from other years) but it's in the shop. I was supposed to have it back a week ago and it's still not ready. Now I'm getting worried about not having it back in time to have the address before we leave. I can get to my new email online, just not the saved stuff. Thanks!

• Fogi11
    11 years ago

Hi Pauline,
    I sent you an email, but have not heard back from you. My email is fogi11 AT yahho DOT com. Thanks
    Mark

• KittyWitty
    11 years ago

Please resend, as I did not have the email box checked. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• mnzinnia
    11 years ago

Hi Pauline,
    I am planning on attending the swap (along with 1 friend) but need the address. I cannot get the gardenweb site to allow me to change my outdated email address and am not sure you got my earlier attempt to e-mail you.
    Please send info to mnzinnia@gmail.com.
    Thanks!

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane, Thanks for figuring out the e-mail preference thing. Several people have used that information.

I do believe I have caught up on everyone who has contacted me lately.

There are a few from early on who did not confirm and thus don't have the address. If you still don't have it after today let me know.

Pauline

cross your fingers for good weather. I am on my way out to the garden to dig plants or weed. The more weeds you see on Saturday the more plants I will have dug up.

• may8
    11 years ago

Looks like it will be a great swap with good companies and various plants: edibles, perennials and annuals. So far, I have potted up dahlias, Zebra grass, strawberries, Bugle weeds, garlic chives. Will pot more in the next few days.

Pauline, thank you so much for hosting and all that emailing! We had such a good time last year at your place. I suggest that, from now on, we should let the host pick 3 (or more) plants before the swap starts. Adam, too bad you can't stay long because you are so much fun.

• mnzinnia
    11 years ago

Hi Pauline,
    I don't see an email from you in my gmail. Could you try again?

mnzinnia@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Anne

• aliyahbukra
    11 years ago

Hi Pauline,

I don't have an e-mail from you either. You can send it to aliyahbukra at gmail dot com.

Thanks!

• buncobabe2u
    11 years ago

Pauline,
    I don't have email either.

Thanks,
    Mary

• tammymn
    11 years ago

Hi Pauline,
    I will be coming, I think I remember where you live. TammyMN

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last count 30 people have indicated they are coming. If it is raining I can fit us all inside for food, but bring your umbrellas for the exchange. We gather in the park across the street from me. I can remember one cold plant exchange over there a few years ago.

Tammy, glad to hear you can make it. I sent you my address and phone just in case.

Mary, I tried again.

Anne yours is on it's way.

aliyahbura your message bounced back.

Please email me at the address you get by clicking on my user name above.I tried typing it here but it didn't show up in my preview message.

Anyone else that hasn't gotten an email with my address do the same please.

I am looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow and keep your fingers cross for blue skies.
    Pauline

• aliyahbukra
    11 years ago

>aliyahbura your message bounced back.

That's really odd. I've been receiving messages there all week (Just in case, did you send it to aliyahbuKra at gmail dot com ? I noticed that you misspelled it in your post above...). I'll try again to email you through your profile. This will be the 3rd time, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Thanks!

• tammymn
    11 years ago

Pauline-what can I bring you as a hostess gift for doing all of this? What do you have room for something sunny or shady??? hosta or daylily-or some stepables???? Whats on your wish list???Tammy

• Fogi11
    11 years ago

Hi Pauline . I still Have not received an email with the address for the plant swap. I emailed you a few times earlier.
    Mark
    fogi11@yahoo.com

• kathiez4mn
    11 years ago

I would like to come to this but don't know where it is. How do I go about getting the info tonight?

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aliyahbukra I tried again and it didn't come back.

Mark hopefully the message went through to you

kathiez4mn I don't see an address for you when I go to your page. If you will go to my page and email me from there I will send you the information. I don't want to print my address here.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well we don't need to worry that we will get sun burnt today.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The weather is miserable I will be here ready to go, but if you want to hold your plants until fall I will try again then.

Pauline

• katkni
    11 years ago

OMG I totally forgot about this until right now! I didn't put this on my calendar and am totally unprepared. Next time :(

• KittyWitty
    11 years ago

Since I stopped by too early, and left my lime bars in my garage, I will for sure get it right this fall, and usually have more to divide too.

• zenpotter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow it was a great exchange. I do believe that someone else will be having a fall one. Several people talked about it.
    Thank all of you who braved the weather to come. What a great group of people and plants.

• bansheebanshee
    11 years ago

We had such a lovely time! Now I'm online reading all about the new plants. Thank you!

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County