Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

Equisetum hyemale (horsetail, scouring rush)

leaveswave
17 years ago

This is the stick-like one, not the branching one. Anyone have some they're willing to share a division from? Or know a local source?

Comments (10)

• dentaybow
    17 years ago

This is a very invasive plant....especially in moist soils. Almost impossible to control once established. Are you sure you want to plant this in your gardens? It grows thickly and invasively in moist areas on our lowlands. I have seen it for sale in some nurseries. Usually sold as a 'pond plant' or something like that. If I remember correctly, it is usually recommended that it be planted in a pot sunk into the ground to contain its spread.

If you can not find it locally, email me.

It will be interesting to see what other folks have to say about this plant in a garden situation.

Jan

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh, absolutely I want it--it's very attractive to me. I never decide about a plant without researching first (and sometimes I still get surprised!). Planted in a pot sunk in the ground is exactly what I plan for this cutie. It's going to be in my rain garden. With, perhaps, another pot of pickeral (sp?).

• firethorn
    17 years ago

I have this plant in my garden, it's very attractive. I bought mine at Balwin Lake Perennials in Lino Lakes (don't I seem to be bringing them up a lot lately, whew) and I should think they'll have it again this year.

• phyllis__mn
    17 years ago

This was brought into our Memorial Gardens with the lush black dirt, and is impossible to get rid of, and a real pain to try to keep under control. It seems that we just have to live with it, although Ornamec Grass herbicide knocks it back a bit.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bummer. Rhizome-spreading is probably my least favorite plant characteristic. Are the gardens anywhere near Plymouth?

• crocosmia_mn
    17 years ago

Pretty sure I've seen it at Highland Nursery in St, Paul. It also grows wild near our cabin and I have often been tempted to dig some up. If I had a modernistic garden (which I don't) I would find a way to safely plant it in a long, thin winding ribbon running through the flowers....

• crocosmia_mn
    17 years ago

$8 for a 3.5" pot at ............... the Friends School plant sale!

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

$8?!?! I gotta raise my prices

• ddsack
    17 years ago

I would do anything to get rid of it. It has spread from a naturally growing low spot (we live on a lake) throughout the lawn and is always trying to creep into my flower and vegetable gardens. And some of this is uphill and into sand, so it's not just in the wet area anymore. Plant at your own risk. I'm not so sure it wouldn't escape out the bottom of a drainage hole of a pot. I've pulled all kinds of root runners out of my flower bed, and it's a thin fragile root that breaks easily. If you miss any little bit it comes back.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the warning. I may not put in any drainage holes, but if I do it will be a deep enough container that I'm confident it won't escape. Sounds like it can be a real bother.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery