Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple tapping

Posted by carmellia z 4 Minn (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 7, 06 at 11:27

Every year I get caught with my knickers down - garden-wise that is. I am probably very late to be asking these questions, but do any of you guys tap maple trees for sap?

I acquired two proper sap gathering pails, complete with tapping spigots, at a garage sale two years ago. Still haven't used them. I saw an article in the newspaper about some men in Belle Plaine that tap maple trees every year, and it makes be think I may already be too late to do it this year. Do any of you know? I am in the Kenyon area (50 miles south of St. Paul). I would just love to try these things out. Carmellia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple tapping

It is too late. Maple tapping should be halted once the Spring Peepers begin their call.

o
RE: Maple tapping

We pulled our taps last weekend!

You tap your trees when the daytime temps reach 40 and the nightimes are below freezing. Usually it's the start of March. This year was great too! We got 1.25 gallons of SYRUP from our one Silver Maple.

-Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here