Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new gardener with lots of questions-please help

Posted by flora43 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 11:50

Hi,

I am fairly new to gardening and have several questions. Please help if you can. I am in the metro area. Thanks!

1) I have an endless summer hydrangea. The first year I had it it had lots of blooms. The second year lots of leaves and only 1 bloom the whole summer. I did not fertilize it. I did not cut it back last fall. How do I get it to bloom like the first year. Is it too late to cut it back now? It gets sun morning through afternoon.
Also, I have ammended the soil using aluminum sulfate but blooms are still pink.

2) I have some boxwood that has yellow on it. Is it a good time to prune them back?

3) I have a second story window box. I water it with a watering can through an upstairs window. Any good watering tricks to help me reduce the number of times I have to water?

4) I have William Baffin climbing roses that I didn't prune last year in the fall. Can I prune them now? What do I do about the rose hips?

5) I bought several hydrangea bushes last year at the end of the season. I'm not seeing any buds yet, is it too early? I think they are Little Lamb, Pink Diamond and Limelight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new gardener with lots of questions-please help

I don't have all the answers, but I have a few. I used to have a second story window box, and I know your problem exactly. One thing that can help is a product called 'Soil Moist', it is a polymer that absorbs water and releases it to your plants root systems slowly. You mix it into your planting mix when you plant in the spring. You need to be careful with it though, because you can also drown your plants if you are not careful...see the link below for more info.

I have William Baffin too, you can prune it anytime. Cut the hips or leave them, it is up to you. Baffin is a tough customer, so don't loose sleep over that.

It is too early to worry about your hydrangeas...they are not early risers.

Good Luck, Helen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Moist

o

As far as your Endless Summer, if you want blue blooms you'll need to get the soil ph down to below 5. Depending on what your soil ph is you might have to do a lot of amending. Soil sulphur would be a better choice than aluminum sulphate. I would also suggest fertilizer and Endless Summer likes a fair amount of water too. Now would be a good time to cut it back. Cut it back to green wood, most of the time for me that means to the ground. Hopefully someone else can help you with the boxwood.

o

I think a heavy mulch layer over the winter helps on the ES hydrangea. I use about 2 feet of leaves.

My limelight is just barely showing signs of life. The buds are very small, but I can see a little green.

Pruning boxwood now is fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here