Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

Finally - A Soaker

soilent_green
12 years ago

Yeah the weather really sucks today, and yeah, the forecast for this week isn't that pleasant either, but my rain gauge registered TWO INCHES of rainfall in the last twenty four hours, which makes me VERY happy. I know some folks got a lot more than this amount, but this is more rainfall than we have received in accumulated total since August 4, 2011 (including estimated snow amounts). For my area it is also the highest total amount from a single weather system since May of 2011.

We have been stuck in a "rain/snow shadow" that just did not seem to want to break. This occurs when storm systems break up or decline in intensity as they cross over the Minnesota River valley, leaving us either high and dry on the lee side or receiving only pitiful amounts of precipitation as compared to what was received on the other side. I do not understand the physics of it, but this phenomena is definitely not mere coincidence and occurs quite frequently. It has been noted by many of us amateur weather geeks around here, and meteorologists and local farmers speak of it as well. It is a common topic of discussion at the local coffee shops and watering holes.

This moisture will help immensely but we are still way behind where we should be regarding average precipitation amounts for the last eight months.

It is incredible how quickly the lawn greened up in the last twenty four hours due to the rainfall. The one-inch cracks in the ground are finally starting to close up now. Time to sharpen the mower blades as the lawn is quickly getting out of control.

Now if we could just get some consistently warmer temperatures...

Right now is a perfect opportunity to go out and do some dividing and transplanting. I will have to put on the cold weather gear to wear outside today - I do not trust our fickle Minnesota weather so my winter gear is still kept within easy reach. Very wet, muddy, and unpleasant for me but the plants suffer little to no transplant shock under these cold, wet, cloudy conditions.

The robins look severely unhappy today...

Comments (3)

Sponsored