Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tanyalee_gw

Which side of house to plant Giant sunflowers?

tanyalee
17 years ago

I would like to plant some giant sunflowers along my house, I was wondering which side was the best to put them? Like the north, south, east, or west side? Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

I have usually planted mine in my garden which is in full sun but I would say the south side assuming they won't be shaded by anything. They would get the most sun that way, on the east or west side they would be shaded by the house for part of the day.

• rdubow
    17 years ago

There is a method to the madness of planting sunflowers....so I know what you area asking....I was wondering this too...FULL SUN...yes...but which diretion will they face??! They grow to face a certain direction...what direction is it? I was wondering the same thing being if I plant them along the back of my garden what if they grow to face the neighbors! Or if I plant along one side what if they face the other???

Anyone know?? GREAT question!

• parrotslave
    17 years ago

Sunflowers follow the sun, hence then name.

In the morning they will face east then they will turn to follow the sun throughout the day. During the night they will reorient themselves to face east in anticipation of the sunrise.

I plant them on the south side of the house so they get the most sun.

• deweymn
    17 years ago

In the morning they will face east then they will turn to follow the sun throughout the day. During the night they will reorient themselves to face east in anticipation of the sunrise.

I believe you but I don't know how they could do this. Has anyone witnessed it in a large sunflower plot. I have seen these pictures but never paid attention to their insight.

I started some Giant Russian sunflowers in the beginning of Februay. Too soon. They outgrew the lights. I lost half a dozen and found out they don't like to go outside too early either. Direct sun but a cool wind. I will plant the survivors tomorrow. And bury the dead.

Can I plant the stem deep? Or just to what they are in the cups now?

• tammymn
    17 years ago

Its true the sunflower heads follow the sun-it is was cool. I planted them for the first time last year in different areas and thats exactly what they did.

• rdubow
    17 years ago

I have like 8 of them started in the house...um.....Mammoth Russian (of course!) and one other...a smaller one (starts with a "P".....If I direct sow some in a few weeks (may 1st/......I am soooo impatient!!!!) will they also come up o.k. like the others??

Do you have to plant sunflowers all year to make them keep coming or will hte heads stay on for a long time?

I ADORE stargazers but HATE that they bloom then are gone!!!!!

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

Are you asking if the seed heads will remain for a long time or the bloom? The seed heads will remain for months. If you want repeat blooms you need to deadhead (remove the faded blooms) to keep new blooms coming. Remember, a plants goal in life is to propagate itself. Seed production takes lots of energy and once the plant sets seed it's goal is accomplished, so no reason to keep producing blooms.(This is the simplified version.)

• john_w
    17 years ago

The best side to plant them is the side away from the wind.

Sunflowers quickly turn to seed and the flower head then tilts to the ground. It's fun to watch small birds clinging to the underside, pulling out the ripe seeds.