Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Callirhoe poppy mallow

Posted by cosmo1 z4 MN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 12:49

Live in Northfield & am looking 4 callirhoe Involucrata poppy mallow, (purple poppy mallow)winecup type I think. anyone know where to find this ground-cover? Bachmans, Gertens,Pahl's or anywhere else. Would be thankful if anyone knows. Have found in the catalogs, but kinda spendy. I saw it on someone's Web Site, but now I can't seem to find it when I need it.

THANX

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Callirhoe poppy mallow

I've seen it around a bit, but can't remember where. I'd look at:

Kelley and Kelley in Long Lake
Ambergate in Victoria
Funkie Gardens in Prescott, WI

I know they use it at Noeremberg (sp?) Garden on Lake Minnetonka (not far from, and loosely affliated with, Kelley and Kelley). I tried it a few times but lost it. It needs lots of sun, great drainage and not too much competition (my problem, I think).

Seems to me I usually see it at the Friends Sale at the fair grounds.

Hope you find it and keep it happy - it's a beautiful plant!

Ted

o

Not listed in this year's Friends catalog. The plant is a rather leggy, sprawly kind of thing. I wouldn't call it a good ground cover myself. But that may be just me. I am quite opinionated. Yet, I doubt it would keep out many weeds. I think it's great in amongst other short perennials, though. Good plantings of it at the Lake Harriet Rock Garden (too) across from the fountain at Lyndale Park in Minneapolis.

Belated Happy Birthday, BTW.

o

I know for a fact you would find it at Kelley and Kelley in Long Lake. I have had it, I am sure that it would be quite nice used properly, I did not use it properly and kicked it out of the garden because of its habit. I do not have a good wall or anything to let it creep over, and at the front of the border it met the lawn mower quite a few times.

Helen.

o

We have two and they are doing very well. I got the first one at High Country Gardens...they have the magenta color and a white one:

http://www.highcountrygardens.com/catalog/product/28030/

Also, Wayside Gardens has it:

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&mainPage=LGprodview&ItemId=43913&PrevMainPage=textsearchresults&scChannel=Text Search&SearchText=poppy mallow&OfferCode=V3H

I love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here