Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

I bought a Japanese Maple, Now what?

thisismelissa
13 years ago

It's a Bloodgood.

I'm trying to figure out if I should plant it, or container-grow it and winter it in the unheated garage (which does freeze, as we need to bring soda indoors if temps hover around 0º for more than a few days).

I'm in Lakeville, 20 miles south of the cities, so we get little "heat island" effect. And in Lakeville, we have a 100' wide x 150' deep lot.... very typical 10 year old DR Horton neighborhood in a formal corn field.

My back yard is rather unprotected as we can hear winter winds howling thru. However, in the back of my lot, there's a lot of protection from tall box-elder trees, but unfortunately, it means that little light gets thru... It's the location of my large hosta garden:

My house faces east. Parts of my front yard get sun all day (dawn till 6pm), but close to the house, the shade sets in around 1pm. I'd like to be able to plant it, but if I put it closer to the house, I think it'd be in the path of the blowing snowblower and this year, that meant the demise of a weeping pea shrub. I think an ideal spot for it would be right by the house, in front of the green shutter, where a potted globe blue spruce is currently sitting. But again, my concern would be the issue of the snow blower/shovel.

Given these circumstances, do you think I am best to pot it up and overwinter it in the garage? Or, could I possibly get away with planting it in the ground?

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

Comments (4)