Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_w_gw

Sixty-five, seventy, seventy-five

john_w
17 years ago

Cardinals nesting in my false cypress. Bluebirds checking out the bird boxes. Saw a hen turkey on my suburban street. Later this morning a bald eagle was circling overhead.

And a crazed robin keeps attacking my front window. Several times a minute from first light until late evening.

I must get out and prune my roses, but a million little things keep me from getting outside today.

Comments (8)

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

John, we had a flock of 5 wild turkeys in yard of the church across Larpenteur from us the other day! I mean, I know there's a cemetery diagnally across from us - and they likely came from there but wow!

I have several nests in the awnings of our house full of house finch eggs, and both gold and purple finches at my thistle feeder. Gets noisy around here when they hatch! My roses are going to wait another week or so, but I've brushed out all but two of my beds. Have to prune the hazels and spirea yet this spring - they just can't wait another season.

-Marie

• belle_michele
    17 years ago

My nanking cherries were all in bloom yesterday, they were covered with butterflys and bumblee bees! It's times like these, seeing the cherries in bloom, their light, sweet fragrance, the ballet of the bees and the butterflys amid the blossoms, that I wish I could somehow 'bottle' and save these moments for those long, dark, winter days...

I do hope, hoever, that we get some decent rainfall today....

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

I take pictures and use them as a rotating backdrop on my computer screen. It quite nice during the winter when I am working and they pop up on the screen. Now if there was a way the computer could emit the fragrance of the blooms....

My apricots and Leondard Messel magnolia were just swarmed with bees/wasps and a few butterflies the last couple of days. I got some great pictures.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

The buds on my magnolia and apricots are just now showing color. Should be great for my son and friends prom pictures this weekend.

• belle_michele
    16 years ago

Do your Magnolia's have any fragrance? Which are the most hardy/best suited for Minnesota/zone 4? I've seen several for sale locally but just because they sell them doesn't mean they'll survive...so I'm interested in some tried and true varieties!

• ginkgonut
    16 years ago

They have a light fragrance. You sort of have to stick your nose in the flower and smell, but it is wonderful.

Here are my experiences with magnolias. Relatively sheltered yard in Minneapolis.

Jane--planted in late august 2004 and died over the winter. I might give Jane, or one of her siblings, another chance this year.

Butterflies--rescued from being composted (a 20 gallon tree) and planted in late August of 2005. Perfectly fine so far. Late bloomer, probably by this weekend. Nice yellow flowers.

Leonard Messel--Plant in late August 2004 and had 50% winter kill the first year. Has never happened since. Bloomed for the first time this year. Pink tinted flowers are gorgeous. Started blooming a week ago.

Star Magnolia--Spring 2005--the earliest bloomer is mostly done.

Not a long history so no guarantees.

Merrill is also a good one that is quite common in the cities and seems reliable.

I think spring planting is advised for best survival. If you like Magnolias I say go to the nursery this weekend and go for it.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

I have only one, star magnolia, planted in 1998. A couple of times I've lost bloom due to late freezes, but that seemed to be more in the first few years. Have not had a problem in the last few years. Mine is in a semi-sheltered location. (As sheltered as it gets out here on the prairie.)Mine is just opening now. Out here bloom is usually a little later than in the metro. I think mine is Royal Star.

• john_w
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's BirdLand out here! New nesters this week: a pair of eastern bluebirds, some squabbling tree swallows and (I think) some chickadees.

A pair of English sparrows is determined to take over one of my nest boxes, but I keep taking out the materials as they stuff the box. I want a place for the wrens when they arrive.

Oranges are out for the orioles. I haven't seen any yet, but the house finches appreciate the treat. And I have to fill my two seed feeders once a day.

What a delight to open the kitchen window each morning and hear the commotion!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH