Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margiemeg

the lead days of May?

margiemeg
16 years ago

Yesterday my elderly aunts were telling me not to plant until the 'lead days of May' have passed; they say that's after the 14th-15th of May. Has anyone ever heard of the 'lead days of May?' I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact it could still freeze up to those days; they weren't sure where this garden 'fact' came from, other than from grandma.

Comments (6)

• treehaus
    16 years ago

I think the average last day for frost in much of MN is the 20th or 21st of May, so grandma might be right about that.

• maidofshade
    16 years ago

Here is a link you might find interesting.
    http://climate.umn.edu/doc/agwx.htm

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Used to be no one would put their tomatoes out until Memorial weekend. My grandma wouldn't plant anything much until around then (which is also around her birthday). My husband and I would go over there and do a massive planting for her birthday gift every year until just last year when she moved.

-Marie

• rdubow
    16 years ago

I am prob. the over-zelous type gardener...I have been begging to put thingsout for a month now! But.......

Growing up (all of my 30 years!!) my mother and grandmother planted their tomatoes etc. on Mother's Day!! That was our Mother's Day event!!! So...I always remember that andeven though I may not listen to what they have instructed me to do.....that is the DAY they marked!

Granted.......climates have changed in 70+ (Heck...when is the last time we got 5 feet of snow???)years and my grandmother was in Pierz MN and I am in Hennipen county....that is how I justify putting things out early!So....based on this...um.....when I plant early I am RISKING losing everything, I know!
    Bec

• jel48
    16 years ago

I planted tomatoes once, in Nebraska, on the 14th of MARCH! They made it too, and I Only had to cover them a couple of times. But that was a really strange year. Once the ground has warmed up to a reasonable level, I think how early you can plant is directly connected to how willing and able you ate to cover them up and take care of them if it gets cold. And of course, there's that odd year that it's going to get really cold for several days and it won't matter how well you covered them! Funny... I never thought of gardening as being like gambling until now :-)

• belle_michele
    16 years ago

I see all these people buying tomato and pepper plants in the 'box' stores, I wonder if they are covering them or keeping them inside before planting?

For me the fall is a lot more problematic..

I have a lot of plants that have to over-winter inside (it's absolutely insane, I know)...some I have to make sure to get in before the temperature drops too low at night(banana's, tacca's) and others (fig trees) I have to leave out til the first frost so they'll go dormant and then get wrapped up for their winter inside the garage -but before there is a really 'hard' freeze...I've had a couple of close calls because the weather is just as unpredictable then as it is in the spring.

If nothing else, gardening is challenging here in Minnesota!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus