Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recomendation - Garden Center in the Metro

Posted by mean 4A (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 14:59

I will travelling to the metro area over the next couple of weekends. I am looking for Pine Bark fines in particular for container gardening and can't find them in Winona. Can anyone recomend a good greenhouse/garden center in the metro area - I will be in Inver Grove the next two weekends. I will also be in Blaine soon too.

Thanks,
Mean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recomendation - Garden Center in the Metro

I am not familiar with pine bark fines, so no idea who may carry them.

But Mickman Brothers in Blaine is a really great place! If you care to travel 15-20 minutes farther north, the Green Barn in Isanti has a huge selection, too.

Linda

o

I think Gertens is in Inver Grove or very near it...it is HUGE! I don't feel the same about Mickmans as Linda (sorry Linda)...Do like the Green Barn though...Helen.

o

Thanks for the tips ladies.

I think I'll call these places and see if they have Pine Bark fines.

Thanks,
mean

o

I know that Linder's in St. Paul sells a product called soil builder, which is partially composted pine bark fines. For my potting mix I used Timberline pine bark mulch as a substitute, which I know is available from both Lowe's and Home Depot. It is in the 2 cu. ft. bags with purple labeling. Some of the pieces are bigger than 1/4", but you can either screen them out, or just live with it, which is what I did.

Here is a link that might be useful: Timberline pine mulch

o

I didn't know what pine bark finds were so I googled it and got this. It may help in finding it/them.

Here is a link that might be useful: pink bark finds

o

I've found pine and fir bark fines at Home Depot, though sometimes they only have the nuggets. These I put through my shredder and then use for potting mixes. Gary

o

Gertens has a catalog online. I've been told that they pretty much only sell what's in the catalog. See link.

You could also try Bachmans on Lyndale. That's the flagship store. I'd try that one before any others.

o

Helen, what don't you like about Mickman's? Aside from them being on the pricey side, I think they have nice plants and a very nice selection of tools, equipment, supplies, and decor.

Not sure how knowledgeable their staff is, I have never really had an opportunity to talk at length with any of them.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here