Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berry Bush pruning, the hows and whys?

Posted by srj19 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 15:21

I have some established raspberry plants that fruit twice in the year. Their just starting to show new leaf growth, is it too late to prune these a bit? What happens if I do it now?

I'm not sure I understand the methods of pruning berry plants, can anybody sum it up in a nutshell?

thanks,

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berry Bush pruning, the hows and whys?

If you want to maintain them as twice fruiting plants you'll need to to do regular maintenance pruning. If you didn't do it last fall, you can still prune out any dead canes. Canes that bore fruit last summer will not do so again. Then thin canes so that you have 6-8 per foot of row. If you just want them to produce a fall crop you can simply mow them off in late winter or early spring. If they're starting to leaf out you probably don't want to do that anymore this year. For more info you can go to www.extension.umn.edu/gardeninfo This is a great website with lots of info.

Here is a link that might be useful: MN extension website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here