Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting seeds indoors

Posted by mnlamb usda 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 15:21

Hello forum! Last fall finally got the hubby to build to raised beds for my vegetable garden- I had always planned to buy plants but thought it might be fun to start some indoors. What veges can be started indoors? I know you can start tomatoes and peppers but how about squash, kohlrabi, beets, cucumbers, beans and peas? Or I guess a better way to put is what can't you start indoors since we love veges-
also how about herbs? can I start thoughs indoors?
Thanks a bunch in advance- Just itching for it to get nice out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting seeds indoors

I use Bachman's care sheet for seed starting times. The weekly update is also helpful. I like to read the archives.
http://www.bachmans.com/retail/gardening/weekly_updates_index.cfm

Here is a link that might be useful: Indoor Seed Starting Calendar

o
RE: starting seeds indoors

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 9, 09 at 15:22

Hi mnlamb. I wouldn't bother with sqash, cucumbers, beans, or peas. They all grow really fast and should generally have the seeds planted right in the garden. Possibly the same for beets as I've never seen seedlings sold for root plants like beets or carrots or parsnips.

Kohlrabi could definitely be started indoors as well as cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, and brussel sprouts.

Onions and okra can be started indoors.

Here's my favorite site for finding out WHEN each kind of seed should be started.

Herbs can be started indoors as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: When to plant?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here