Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

Setup mini-greenhouse?

leaveswave
18 years ago

I'm trying to decide whether it's too early to set mine up and start some seeds...it looks kinda like {{gwi:1047705}}.

Six weeks til the last average frost date.

Sampling of seeds: angelica, calendula, delphinium, larkspur, lavatera, jacob's ladder, lupin, knautia, foxglove, astrantia.

WWYD?

Comments (7)

• jel48
    18 years ago

I start mine indoors, then move them out to my coldframes and one mini-greenhouse (very similar to your pic) later on. But, as I look at the greenhouse, I wonder.... would it be all that much different then winter sowing? If you were to do your seed starting in the little greenhouse, that is.

• leaveswave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, I've maxed the space indoors that I can use for some of these seeds. I'm sure we'll have freezing temps yet and maybe even some snow, so I'm a little hesitant to set it up yet, but on the other hand I really want to sow these seeds!! Someday I swear I'm moving to zone 5 or 6...! ;-)

• Julie
    18 years ago

Hey there Leaves-
    If the Calendula is a hardy perennial variety- I would say DO IT!! Your selection as listed sounds like it is all hardy to this zone- and Old Ma nature will take good care of them- She will tell em when to germ and you wouldn't believe how smart those little sprouts are- they keep their heads low and grow the most fantastic roots while they wait for warmer weather to grow up tall. And you won't have to worry about hardening off, they will never go through that stress and be much bigger healthier plants because of it. Yes- they will be looking like they are not growing for a long while- and side by side with indoor starts they will be punier for a while- but just a little ways after transplanting- they will be much bigger in no time!
    Unless they fry in the heat- or get drowned by rain or dried out by wind- you will have some very healthy plants in no time!
    I put some hardier and a few tender annuals out in the cold frame this morning- And I am looking for a few more not hardy to this zone to take a gamble with..... I may even start a little salad garden.... just to see if I can do it this early. HHmmmm tomatoes reseed, I better start a few of those too!
    Julie

• sandysgardens
    18 years ago

I have been itching to get some plants out in the greenhouse (unheated) and coldframe, but have been afraid of the cold nights still. However, this past weekend I put some containers of perennial seeds out in the green house.

Julie - can you let us know what annuals you put out.

Thanks
    Sandy

• Julie
    18 years ago

I put out salvias (many)- impatients cristata- and balfouri- parlseys-
    I will do more tonight I am sure-
    After last night I am convinced that the cold frame will keep the frost off- I believe it will be more work to keep the insides from baking than worring about the cold....
    I will post more as more flats go out...

• jel48
    18 years ago

And be sure and let us know if anything gets nipped... and if that happens which ones it happened too! Actually, I just thought to check my notes from last year and here it is.... "4/8-4/9 Began moving many seedlings to cold frame and outdoor mini-greenhouse". The only thing I had problems with were the Coleus and I think the purple Basil. I did a little 'insurance' a few times though, by adding a blanket over top of the cold frames.

• Julie
    18 years ago

Hey there-
    I put out another flat of Rudbeckia- HHP for our zone..., Aubrieta, Gailardia FanFare (Annual here), Helichrisiums, moccuela, Phlox drummondiis, and annual scabiosas.
    I do want to get lettuce and others out soon-
    Thanks for the heads up on the basil- I do have that on the list to get into the cold frames, and I think I still will- although, I will try to remember to bring it in if we get a run of cold cloudy days....