Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sferraro_gw

Rose hedge

sferraro
15 years ago

Can any MN rosarian suggest a good rose bush for hedging?

Comments (6)

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

I would go with a good hardy shrub rose (some are hardier than others)...How big do you want the hedge to be? (Long and tall) that would make a huge difference, and what kind of situation is it for? I might be able to help more then.

Helen.

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    15 years ago

Fru Dagmar Hastrup (the correct Danish version) aka Frau Dagmar Hartopp is the best landscape rose ever. I wish I could recommend 100 times and shout it from the rooftops. Without equal. Rugosa type, 42" x 42", single pink flower, reblooms, nice hips, excellent fall color, perfect hardiness.

Ted

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

Ted, I love shrub roses, so your enthusiastic referal interests me too. Do you have a picture you could download? None the snapshots of this rose on google give me much of an idea of the overall look of the plant. Also, is it difficult to find? Several nursery sites list it as sold out.

Thanks, Helen.

• twohuskies
    15 years ago

I'd suggest rugosa roses in general. I don't have any experience with growing stuff as a hedge but the rugosas are hardy and relatively carefree. Much more so than most of the other roses I grow. As for which ones, I guess you'd have to first decide how tall of a hedge you would like.

Fru Dagmar Hastrup is a beauty. I have it and love the delicate pink petals. Here are some pictures and info on Fru Dagmar Hastrup. To lookup info on other roses click on Rose Search on the left hand side of the page. Also, Spring Valley Roses has a nice hedge special deals on 2 great rugosas Purple Pavement and Magnifica. Both would be beautiful and very fragrant.

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    15 years ago

Helen,

It's around. Gertens carried it last year, Bailey's is growing it, so most local nurseries could get it in.

I have several and they are very well documented with photos. I'll try to figure out the posting stuff. The images I pull up on google are pretty good, though a few show funny colored doubles (wrong!).

There are other roses I love, some very beautiful, but none combine all of Fru Dagmars qualities. Compared to other rugosas it is more finely caned and densely branched. This help keep her habit tidy without a lot of work.

There are a few I care for that must be 20+ years old, and they still look great. It also was a favorite of Lanning Roper, an American landscape architect that restore and planted many large British estates in the middle of the 20th century.

Ted

Ted

• heleninramsey
    15 years ago

Ted...Thanks for the info...
    I have about 20 shub roses of different varieties, I am afraid that the only rugosa I have tried is Foxy Pavement, the shrub stayed nice if I cut it down to a foot each spring, but the roses never fully opened for me, they always went brown when they were still closed...don't know what that is about, but it did not leave me unwilling to ty another. Helen.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!