Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting a garden

Posted by elahrairah (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 16:48

i'm looking for advice on starting a garden from scratch. it would be in the back yard of a lot that is east west facing. there is a large maple tree in the yard. i don't know the condition of the soil at present. there is a layer of leaves on the grass which has been there since the fall and the soil has not been worked for many years.

my question is when should i start to prepare the area for the garden, what would be a good spot for the garden in the yard, i.e. how far from the tree, the house faces to the west should the garden be near the house etc ... any tips are greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting a garden

did you check out the faq or the search sections? There's a lot of info in them already available.

o
RE: starting a garden

You can start any time now using this method.

1. Lay newspaper in layers 5 sheets or more to cover the area where the garden will be.

2. Cover that with farmpost which is manure and straw combined and aged.

3. When the weather is good enough you can cut through the newspaper and plant. When you plant depends on what you are planting.

You can get the farmpost for free at Canterbury Park in Shakopee or check a garden store. I have gotten mine from Canterbury Park for several years now. We don't have our large car anymore so this year I am having a yard delivered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here