Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoghaven_duluthmn

Snow, salt, mulch and lilacs

hoghaven_duluthmn
17 years ago

Here's the scenario. Our sidewalk/curb adjoins a very busy road (the sidewalk is about 4 feet wide). I am planting a row of lilacs about 3.5 feet away from the edge of the sidewalk. I have dug the grade a couple of inches below the sidewalk to accommodate a border of mulch between the lilacs and the sidewalk. If I put down a rock mulch, I am concerned about the snowblower picking up stray rocks and tossing them at the house or passing cars and I donÂt want the rock mulch to inhibit the spread of the lilacs. I am thinking that bark mulch will not hold up well under the dirt and salt. Which way do you vote? Also, I think perhaps I should put some sort of protection around the baby lilacs until they get established. What type of material would you recommend? I think I have seen PVC pipe used for protectors. By the way, the hedge will be Miss Kim lilacs planted 3.5 feet on center. I may be delirious after removing all that sod and digging the trench.

Comments (8)

• leaveswave
    17 years ago

Just saw a Miss Kim lilac today. It does sucker, counter to claims about it, so you might want to go a little more than 3.5 feet on center.

I would vote for bark or wood chip mulch. Anything but rocks!

• jel48
    17 years ago

I agree with leaves.... I wouldn't go rock. We have some existing rock borders around our home and I hate them. I'd go with the bark or wood chip. It will break down, but just add a little new mulch on top each year. The decomposing layer underneath is good for the soil.

• Julie
    17 years ago

Protect you Miss Kim from the bunnies!!! I had a patching pair- and the bunnies ate only one down last winter- I usually use harware cloth "rings", but was too slow last fall.
    I dont think the salt would hurt the shrubs in the winter- as they are dormant- and the spring rains should wash away excess- but I would think it wise to try to keep it from the soil. Maybe a plastic mulch used only while the ground is frozen would help-
    You could use a live mulch of a low growing sedum or something similar....

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Something to think about with the mulch and trench. If the trench is right up to the sidewalk and people are walking along there they may end up turning an ankle if they step off of the sidewalk and into the lower area. This comes from the experience of my husband and I walking along and his turning an ankle in a spot like that.

He wasn't badly hurt and we aren't the type to sue someone, but you never know what might happen if someone get's hurt in front of your house.

• MinnesotaSue_z4
    17 years ago

Miss Kim can get really aggressive and you need to be vigilant trimming it back from the sidewalk. It blooms on old wood so you would be cutting off some potential blossoms for next year. I would suggest putting it five feet back from the sidewalk. The attached URL shows what mine looked like after 3 years of ignoring her. There is a two story house behind her!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• twohuskies
    17 years ago

OMG! I L-O-V-E the purple house!!!

• MinnesotaSue_z4
    17 years ago

ROTFLOL!!! It is not a purple house but a very worn out, faded tudor brown. Here is the new paint job.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• hoghaven_duluthmn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the comments and great pictures (I like the Benny Moore paint too!) This lilac spacing thing has been a problem. A landscaping source gave me the 3.5 feet on center. I read somewhere that if you want a hedge of Miss Kim's, 18 inches is okay. Somewhere else I read 6 feet! The plant encyclopedia said they have a spread of 5 to 6 feet, but I know that is really condition related. I have already dug the trench and refilled it with some better soil, awaiting the delivery of my plants. Now, I'm thinking I need to go and redig that ditch. I'm not sure if I have the energy (both mental and physical) to do it!
    Also, thanks for the info on the bunnies. I chose lilacs because the deer seem to be leaving the lilacs alone. Oh! and of course, this is just one project!

Sponsored