Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inormation wanted about Serviceberry Tree

Posted by gottagarden2 Zone 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 17:04

I would like to know if the Serviceberry Tree is a type of tree that will grow suckers along the roots of the tree. I know they are known to grow suckers by the trunk but wondering if I will have sprouts all around by yard.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inormation wanted about Serviceberry Tree

Which Serviceberry are you considering? There are about 25 different species within the Serviceberry genus. Generally, they are shrubs that can be pruned to tree form. I haven't heard/read of them growing suckers along the roots, though as most of them are shrubs they will most likely send up new shoots every year around the base of the trunk(s) already there. HTH

o
RE: Information wanted about Serviceberry Tree

• Posted by john_w Z4a Minn, US (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 10:55

I know of one that suckers, the common saskatoon (A. stolonifera ). This is more of a really big bush than a tree. The suckers are few and they pop up once in a while near the mother plant for me.

o

I was thinking of an Autumn Brillance Serviceberry. Does anyone know of a good place to purchase one. I live in Lakeville/Prior Lake area. Any online sites that would be okay to order from?

o

I would think Autumn Brilliance would be pretty easy to come by. I would call around to some local garden centers. I bought mine from Bachman's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here