Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockman50

Spring 2012 vs 2013

rockman50
11 years ago

I used to live in the Twin Cities. And when I went on GoogleEarth recently to check out my old haunts, I noticed that the image date was April 3, 2012. And the street trees were already leafing out because of the unprecedented warmth in March 2012. And this year....well....it looks like there is no sign of spring weather yet with cold conditions forecast for maybe another week or two, which would take us to almost May. So, I would love to hear from those of you who are long time resident gardeners.....how late is spring this year? And is the 1 year change from 2012 to 2013 in terms of bud break unprecedented?

Comments (12)

• adamterrie
    11 years ago

. . . yep . . the weather this spring is pretty crazy, and is the polar (pun intended) opposite of last year . . last year we had our GW spring swap on April 28th, which would be equivalent to next Sunday (which is the 28th). I was able to see my ground for about a day earlier this week - when the existing snow melted, and before we were blessed with this new round of snow today, and noticed the tulips, daffodils, crocuses were starting to poke through the ground. Last year, these spring flowers were starting to emerge at the end of February. So, we are literally two months behind, compared to last year (which was a very early spring). To answer your question, I would say this one year difference is unprecedented. Really, last year was the earliest spring that I ever could recall, and this year is the latest spring that I can ever recall. Today, and for the last month, I have just been looking out the window and laughing at how crazy this is. And, the extended forecast still consists of temperatures 15 to 20 degrees below average with chances of snow. The average temperatures right now should be 60 for a high, and 40 for a low. There is not a day in the extended forecast where it is forecasted to reach 50 degrees. I am concerned that our spring flowers will be in bloom for an extremely short period of time, because once they are finally able to bloom, we will likely be into early summer, with higher temperatures ( . .hopefully we will get there), and the poor spring flowers will burn out quickly in the heat.

. . . in a way I would like to see this crappy spring continue, so that I can look back on it 30 years from now and tell my grandkids . . "let me tell you about the Spring of 2013!!" :)

- Adam

• rockman50
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very interesting Adam. Normally the crocuses are the first to bloom, and the daffodils and tulips come later. But this year, when the snow finally melts and real spring sets in, everything will come out in a rush at the same time...giving rise to bloom combinations that are perhaps a bit unusual.

• misntroya
    11 years ago

We just had 12.5 inches of snow Thursday. None of my bulbs are peeking through yet, either, and very few patches of green grass. I'm a 3b zone, 90 miles north of the cities.

• misterpatrick
    11 years ago

My tulips, squill, trout lilies and a few other spring ephemerals are all opening up. I started my tomatoes a month ago and am still hoping on last frost end of May. We'll see. It's raining right now which removing some if my snow cover. My garden is still covered in snow. No sign of the garlic yet. I was thing of starting some lettuce under a row cover next weekend.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Not unprecedented but not common either. When things do start popping, don't blink or you miss something.Here's a little peek at April in MN 2013 snow coming down and all.

• katkni
    11 years ago

Last year didn't feel typical either. And it was a pretty miserable summer. I'll take this, as long as the precipitation continues in whatever combined form.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

As anxious as I am for some warmer weather, I'll agreethis is better than the heat and drought of last summer.

• adamterrie
    11 years ago

After this dumping of snow today (April 22nd), it appears that they are finally forecasting "normal" temperatures for the upcoming weekend. I agree that it is always possible to get weather like this in Minnesota. But, to answer the initial question regarding the comparison of last year to this year, I would venture to say that this one year difference is the most extreme in the last several decades. I imagine the local news "weather folks" will be reporting on this in the coming weeks.

I do also agree that any moisture is better then drought (the latter half of last summer and last fall were horribly dry). However, all too often a wet spring leads to a dry summer (. . and a dry spring leads to a wet summer). But, really, anything is possible in our great State of Minnesota :)

- Adam

• rockman50
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So another snow storm tonight in Twin Cities after a 5-6 day stretch of warm spring weather? Did the 5 day warm spell bring out all of the trees? Are they now leafing or flowering out rapidly? Just wondering how this snow will impact vegetation in the crazy spring of 2013. I don't recall a May snow during my 10 years in the Twin Cities.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

The maple trees and lilacs in my yard are just starting to leaf out. Lots of perennials with new growth and a few daffodils, squill, anemone, and hyacinths on the east side of the house are blooming. Bloodroot seemed to appear in full bloom overnight. Hellebore in front is budded and will be opening soon.Such joy to see new blossoms. I just finished removing winter mulch and cutting back last year's old growth yesterday. We are having snow flurries now and then. Slush expected by morning.

• soilent_green
    10 years ago

No woody stemmed plants leafed out here in southwestern Minnesota yet. Elderberry is the earliest to leaf out and the buds are just opening. Maple trees are currently in bloom.

Crocus blooming, tulips and daffodils up but no flower buds yet. Wild ramps, horseradish, garlic, winter onions, fall-planted shallots and multipliers are up. Pretty meager all in all for this time of year.

Back in the early 1990s we had 2 inches of snow on Memorial Day weekend so snow on May 1, while disappointing to me, is not surprising given the cold spring we have been having. If I recall that year we had a cool summer and early start to the winter - lets hope that pattern does not follow.

Following is a pic taken this morning (Wed) of one of my veggie gardens newly seeded with cool weather crops.

• MammaNature
    10 years ago

Well, considering it's now May and we just had snow a few days ago... spring doesn't want to come this year. It's beautiful today though here in North Saint Paul. My trees have buds, but not my shrubs. Day lillies are up, sedum is up, hostas not up. I started my seedlings early this year and so I have tomato and pepper plants inside still and they have fruit on them. Spring needs to come and stay... with a quickness. I have seasonal affective disorder. Needless to say, it has been a miserable past couple months.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting