Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are you adding this year?

Posted by parrotslave z4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 07 at 18:12

I just placed my plant order for this year and am so excited I have to share with someone, so instead of sounding like a raving loony to my non-gardening friends, I'll post it here.

I have a narrow bed between the front sidewalk and the path to my door that has some low shrubs and peonies. I've wanted some sort of vertical interest for years, but have been afraid that vandals would steal or damage any type of plant supports I would use, they steal most of my peony blooms as it is. So this year I've decided to try some columnar apple trees. It is my first attempt at fruit trees, it should be fun.

I also ordered a couple of polar joy tree roses, one for each end of the bed. I hope they have thorns.

I finally decided on a plant to fill the gap between my spring bulb patch and the mock orange behind them. Going to try some purple de oro daylilies. If those do well, I'll add in a few black daylilies in years to come.

Wayside had a special where you buy one climbing night owl rose and you get one free, so I made an impulse purchase and got a pair for the back fence. I hope they have really big thorns.

Every year I try to add a new heuchera and a new hosta to my collection. This year I'm going with an intense ruby red heuchera whose name I don't remember and a colourful eskimo pie hosta.

And to make it look like I the trellis I padlocked in place beside my front door to block off the niche where a meth-head used to smoke at night while stalking my neighbor's daughter is actually for plants, I ordered a couple double clematis, blue light and josephine. I also got a bleeding heart to replace the one he trampled to death.

And in the hopes that global warming is real, I indulged in a red dragon japanese maple. I have wanted one for years and years and years.

So much digging to do. I can hardly wait.

What are you adding this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are you adding this year?

I guess I shouldn't complain about bunnies and deer! Things are so slow to emerge up here I'm still not sure if I'll be replacing or adding. I'll definitely add some more daylilies, hostas, sedum, and would like to find
a "Diablo" Ninebark. Also think I might make better use of some annuals this year - I've gotten away from those and they would really fill a few gaps.

Don't know why, but I don't do mail order - guess I just like to make the rounds of the local, and not so local, garden centers. And that way all my impulse buys come home with me.

Good luck with your Japanese Maple.

o
RE: What are you adding this year?

Parrotslave....

Just be aware that columnar apple trees need to be pruned to keep their 'columnar' shape or they will start branching out like regular trees.

I just hope they leave your apple trees alone. Until I got my back yard fenced, I had constant problems with kids--it wasn't that they were eating the apples, they'd pick them to throw at each other, into the neighbors yards, and break windows with...

I have an area I am trying to discourage people walking their dogs from (it's not the 'walking' I have an issue with)... I've ordered four osage orange, I understand they should be pretty formidable (and thorny) in a few years.

My new plants to try this year are Canna Lilies and Elephant Ears! I know I'll have to dig them up in the fall but I think I'll be more motivated to do so than I ever was with gladiolas...

~Michele

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here