Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
parrotslave

What are you adding this year?

parrotslave
16 years ago

I just placed my plant order for this year and am so excited I have to share with someone, so instead of sounding like a raving loony to my non-gardening friends, I'll post it here.

I have a narrow bed between the front sidewalk and the path to my door that has some low shrubs and peonies. I've wanted some sort of vertical interest for years, but have been afraid that vandals would steal or damage any type of plant supports I would use, they steal most of my peony blooms as it is. So this year I've decided to try some columnar apple trees. It is my first attempt at fruit trees, it should be fun.

I also ordered a couple of polar joy tree roses, one for each end of the bed. I hope they have thorns.

I finally decided on a plant to fill the gap between my spring bulb patch and the mock orange behind them. Going to try some purple de oro daylilies. If those do well, I'll add in a few black daylilies in years to come.

Wayside had a special where you buy one climbing night owl rose and you get one free, so I made an impulse purchase and got a pair for the back fence. I hope they have really big thorns.

Every year I try to add a new heuchera and a new hosta to my collection. This year I'm going with an intense ruby red heuchera whose name I don't remember and a colourful eskimo pie hosta.

And to make it look like I the trellis I padlocked in place beside my front door to block off the niche where a meth-head used to smoke at night while stalking my neighbor's daughter is actually for plants, I ordered a couple double clematis, blue light and josephine. I also got a bleeding heart to replace the one he trampled to death.

And in the hopes that global warming is real, I indulged in a red dragon japanese maple. I have wanted one for years and years and years.

So much digging to do. I can hardly wait.

What are you adding this year?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES