Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nice Surprises!!!

Posted by lazyweeder z4 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 18:28

I was out clearing off the garden today and was admiring some of the crocus and tulips when I noticed some other bulbs coming up too. These were the bulbs a few of us went in on 2 years ago. I didn't have very good luck with them. Atleast that's what I thought. Three of them are coming up this year that hadn't before. So if you weren't happy with that order take a peek where you planted them you just might have a "surprise" too.

Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nice Surprises!!!

So . . . . do you know what they are yet?

As I have been reading up and learning about the genus Fritillaria, I discovered why most of ours died. The bulbs MUST produce roots before winter sets in. Roots will NOT initiate in spring, no matter how hard you try. The only spring roots that will grow are those that were started the fall before. According to the literature for our zone, they need to be planted even before daffodils should, around the first or second week of September, if I remember right. So we got them way too late.

I have Fritillaria camschatensis seedlings from two sources coming up in pots right now. And received Fritillaria pyrenaica and F. thessala ssp. reiseri seed from the NARGS seed exchange this year. They will stay in the frig until September when I will plant them.

o

I have a fritillaria that I put in two years ago coming up. It has died back before blooming both of the last two years. We'll see what happens this year, huh?

Linda

o

Hey there-
Yep- I too have Frits blooming this year- that did not bloom last year!! I very nice treat indeed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here