Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_in_mn

Small Nurseries Road Trip

linda_in_mn
17 years ago

Last weekend we took a road trip to Donahue's in Faribault to pick up some clematis. We got some beautiful clematis and plan on returning in May plus in June when they have their "closing for the season half off" sales.

We decided to travel down to Owatonna and visit a nursery that someone from here recommended last fall. We went to Turtle Creek Nursery and it's now a new favorite. They have some beautiful pots at great prices and the plants that they had now were very nice with nice prices too. The owners were very friendly and helpful. We will definitely go back in May when more plants are in. their website is www.tcnursery.com

On the way back we stopped at Rosie's Gardening Angel Greenhouse outside of Northfield. We discovered her last fall and enjoyed our visit with her so much that we stopped again. She wasn't officially open last weekend but welcomed us anyway. She is open now and has fun stuff for everyone. Her website is www.rosiesgardeningangel.com

We go on roadtrips all over Minnesota and Wisconsin and always make time to the local nurseries. Have found many "souveniers" to use in our gardens.

Please share some of the gems you have found...

Comments (9)

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

Oh you were in my neck of the woods...Maybe at the end of the season when you come back down here we could meet. I live in Lonsdale. You should have gone to Farmer Seed and Nursery in Faribault too!! Love that place, especially in Sept. when all of the perennials are $3.00 and normally are MUCH higher than that. Very fun!! Donahue's has a customer appreciation days and I found that the prices during that time is cheaper than when they have the "end of the season sale"
    Atica

• linda_in_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We usually do hit Farmer's Seed too but forgot until we were on the way to Owatonna. It would be fun to do a nursery tour later, wouldn't it? Maybe we can find some others to visit too... you would like Turtle Creek for sure.

• linda_in_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Atica, when do they have customer appreciation days at Donahue's??? We don't get their ads here in Mpls and they don't put them on their web site either... so it's hit or miss for us. My DH's folks live in Albert Lea and we always go down the "back ways" instead of I-35. We stop at towns all the way down there - I like to say we stop to see every "biggest ball of twine", etc Sometimes takes all day because of the side trips... hahaha Never been to Lonsdale though, will have to check it out Linda

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Just-in-case you are heading North. There is a nursery In Pierze Mn that I like. Rolling Hills Greenhouse & Nursery, 321 Main Street. If you like Antiques check out the antique store on Main street as well. It is a fun litle town and doesn't take long to see the whole thing. We have a cabin near there so go there often in the summer.

Pauline

• jel48
    17 years ago

Linda, I recommended Turtle Creek last year, and I'm glad to hear you liked it. A couple of my other favorites, are Soubas in Owatonna (mostly annuals and open just in the spring - great place - located on a farm about a mile or two west of Owatonna on hiway 14 - they have 5 greenhouses and raise their own plants) and Garten Marketplatz between Rochester and Byron. Garten Marketplatz doesn't have a website but you can find directions here: http://local.rochestermn.com/Garten+Marketplatz+Perennial+Farms.393206.84693512.home.html - they have been a favorite for years. Besides the nursery stock, they have a garden where you can see many perennials in a garden setting. They have an old old house made over into a gift shop, and they also have an area that people can reserve for weddings and other events. I just love this place!

• mantorvillain
    17 years ago

Saw this while having my coffee this AM and decided to make a quick road trip before working on my seedlings. Turtle Creek is very nice and has the best selection of hostas I've seen since Shady Oaks got out of retail....and its just about as quick to get to as Rochester from my location. thanks for the tip.
    Will

• firethorn
    17 years ago

No one's mentioned Baldwin Lake Perennials! It's up here in Lino Lakes, not a 15 minute walk from my house. (Oh so tempting) They open May 8th I think, and they have great quality plants! Plus awesome prices and lots of help. There's a website, http://www.baldwinlakeperennials.com/index.htm, and if you do go be sure to visit during their open house.

• linda_in_mn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all these new road trip places to visit! The other direction we go often if up to St Clous area. We go up I-94 then cut over to Hyw 10 at Rogers. That way we can stop at 101 Market in Otsego which has grown so much over the years. You can see it off Hwy 101 between Rogers and Elk River on the south side of the road.

101 Market 763.441.4487
    8980 Quantrelle Ave E

Then up Hwy 10 where we stop at every little nursery going up to St Cloud area. You could also hit Busse's on one of their open house weekends. I don't remember how to get there just that it is out in the country. Maybe someone else remembers. There I meet up with my sister and niece to hit our favorites in the St Cloud area:

Fairview Gardens 320.980.3648
    1080-35th St NE Sauk Rapids

Raetz Scenic Nursery 320.252.8316
    4355 Mayflower Rd NW Sauk Rapids

Rosewood (both in St Cloud & Sartell)
    527 Pine Cone Rd Sartell 320.251.2761
    1112 Washington Memorial Dr St Cloud 320.253.7264
    www.rosewoodfloral.com

Thomson Greenhouse & Garden Center 320.363.7375
    29756 156th Ave St Joseph
    www.tgreenhouses.com

Hope this gives everyone some more of their own future road trip ideas. And I love the new places others have shared!

• luvmydaisies
    17 years ago

I haven't got the post card yet...but it is usually a week or two before the end of the season 50% off sale. I will post when I get the card.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz