Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jel48

Tulips plus!

jel48
16 years ago

My little species tulips are all blooming today! Along with daffodils all over the place... other tulips are growing nicely and it won't be long before some of them start to bud out. Plus there are little blue flowers that I don't remember the name of. Aren't spring bulbs.... well..... a breath of spring :-)

Comments (9)

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gotta take one thing back... the other tulips aren't close to budding.. they have buds all over! I just hadn't been close enough to look at them.

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Are the little blue ones Siberian squill (scilla)? or Glory of the Snow?

-Marie

ps my tulips are all starting- YAY! Both of my above little bulblets are nearly done :)

• deweymn
    16 years ago

My tulips took off when the weather warmed up after that 10 day cold snap in April. One thing I think I noticed is that when they got set back cause of that cold period, I don't think the stalks were as tall as last year (their first year). Is it me or has anyone else noticed a change in their tulips?

• jel48
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mine are all in bloom now, and look pretty much normal height. I don't think they were growing enough to have much damage from that earlier cold period though, so they're probably not a good comparison.

Marie, Glory of the Snow sounds possible.

• deweymn
    16 years ago

This year over half of my tulips were picked. Problem with a boulevard tulip bed I know. Also, my elderly neighbor returned from the hospital and was told she has cancer that may not be treatable. I picked her a bouquet.

Will the bulbs suffer from having the blooms taken? Over half of them have dropped their petals on their own and a third may have had the flowers taken.

Also, I had red tulips and white tulips to begin with. Now I have a dozen or so of purple mixed in the bed. Are these from off shoots of the original bulbs?

• loodean
    16 years ago

OK, now I am depressed. I planted over 4000 bulbs last fall and of the 2000 daffodils only about 300 have come up and bloomed. I have been planting bulbs for over 20 years here in MN and have never been so disappointed, not to mention the customer who paid for the whole affair. The bulbs looked good going into the ground, no mold, soft spots, two to three growing points. All the tulips did fine, the 1000 crocus came up and bloomed for one day with nickel-sized flowers. ItÂs has always been a difficult site, but I didnÂt expect such a poor showing on the daffsÂ

• cleocrafta
    16 years ago

I'm also very disapointed with the tulips & daffs.There is some leaf growth but very few blooms. They were fertilized & mulched as usual - can this be blamed on our odd winter & spring? Is there anything I can do to encourage the plant bulbs to bloom yet this spring or to increase them for next year? I've heard that many of the new tulips are now considered a annual. Seems alot of work and $$ for bulbs that only bloom for one season. I remember my Moms & Grandmas tulip bed blooming fully and multiplying, I know they didn't plant new bulbs each season.Anyone know of a "secret" tonic. TIA , Cleo

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    16 years ago

Stupid Stupid Dog!!! My tulips by my step were lovely! Until this morning, the dog decided to take a nap on top of them!

Hopefully the rest of my tulips in the yard will bloom soon, and he doesn't decide to nap on them too.

Jenny P

• deweymn
    16 years ago

Ah, last to come up are the few remaining parrot tulips from last year. Three nice flowers and one is going into a vase in the morning and on the desk of a sweet receptionist who helped me recently.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County