Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misterpatrick

When are people planting out this year?

misterpatrick
12 years ago

Hello all,

I'm in West Saint Paul and was wondering when people were starting to plant this year? I have a ton of tomatoes that are raring to go. Soil temp is around 59F right now so still a bit early, but I was thinking around the 1st of May. Too early?

Comments (7)

• katkni
    12 years ago

It's going to be tempting this year! I've been starting seeds based on planting outside starting 5/11, which is the Saturday before avg last frost.

• wiley0
    11 years ago

Two years ago we had a mild spring like this year and I put out tomato and Pepper plants early...Gues what? I later found out that they just sit and do nothing until the temperature of the ground gets to a certain temperature. So, best keep them in a place that can get good sun and bring in when it gets like it is tonite here in StPaul... BTW, I have ordered a late snowstorm just to prove I still live in Mn so beware. (it wasn't the one up North...I had nothing to do with that 12" dumping). I only ordered half that amount.

• soilent_green
    11 years ago

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, herbs - last two weeks in May, same as always.

Cabbage, cauli, broccoli - already started putting them out. Same schedule as always.

Containers - will be starting them beginning of May. They can always be carried in on cold nights.

Annual flowers - mid to late May, same as always.

Warm weather vegetable seeds (beans, zucchini, etc.) - last two weeks in May, same as always.

While it is a gift I appreciate, an early spring does not change my planting or seeding schedule of warm weather crops for the simple reason that I do not trust our fickle Minnesota weather. The weather we had in April has borne out my distrust. It was more normal - cold, cloudy, and rainy - and really slowed down the early spring we were having. Looks to me like spring will be more normal / average now which is plenty good enough for me, and all I really hope for.

I did experiment with very early sowing of cold weather crops in March. They have just sat there the last three weeks and haven't done anything. I did not gain a thing by planting so early, which is what I suspected would happen. Peas look wonderful, though.

• RpR_
    11 years ago

Potatoes are all in and I planted corn ten days ago.

Fifty percent chance the corn will rot in the ground but I have had sweet corn by the fourth of July some years I pushed it.

Pepper and tomatoes just sit there unless one puts a hot cap on them so I usually do not push those.

Some onions that did not get pulled last year are doing great even after being transplanted.
    Volunteer squash are starting to pop up.

• misterpatrick
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the tips. My Garlic is about a foot high but I hold off on putting other things in the ground until mid-April. The seedlings are getting big, but I'll start hardening them off next weekend and then leave them outside until I plant.

• Plaidy
    11 years ago

Well considering it snows two nights ago, may July?

• little_minnie
    11 years ago

Do not plant the warm veggies yet! But there are many things that can be planted: peas, greens, all cabbage family, all root veggies (not sweet potatoes), all the onion family, and potatoes may be ok. I planted potatoes today and yesterday on my CSA farm.

Sure the sunflowers and summer weeds are volunteering but those can be gotten by frost still pretty good! So don't follow suit and plant out sensitive stuff without some sort of cover or wall o water etc. I am planting one tomato row in a few days under a low tunnel.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor