Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zoysia Grass?

Posted by doucanoe MN 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 20:12

Anyone have any experience/knowledge? There is an ad in one of my gardening mags and it says the stuff grows well in all kinds of conditions and produces a thick, lush lawn.

I have some problem areas and wonder if I should try planting some plugs.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zoysia Grass?

Zoysia is a warm weather grass which means it will not green up until the weather and soil temps are warm. That means you would have brown patches when the rest of your early spring lawn is green. Lush? Well, not soft and thick like we think of a lush lawn. It does grow very thick but is stiff. We had some in our St. Louis yard and many yards were all zoysia. I would not grow it here.

o

I grew up in Dayton Ohio and we had it.
I HATED IT!
Yes, it's a lush lawn, but it takes forever to green up in the spring and goes brown before BlueGrass.
When it's brown, it's extremely course and prickly so it's uncomfortable to walk on.

I would NEVER consider having it in MN. Our growing season is way too short here.

o

Before moving from southern MN to St. Louis I used to look at those ads for zoysia and think they might be a solution to some of my lawn problems. After moving to St. Louis and actually experiencing lawns of zoysia I was glad that I did not have one here.

o

That answers my question about zoysia. Thanks!

I am not knowledgeable about grass and lawn at all. So what are my options for a grass that will grow in medium shade? Or am I going to have to pave my yard? LOL

Linda

o

Do you live in the Twin Cities?
If so, I find that Gertens has an awesome selection of blends of various grasses. I would encourage you to look there!

o

Thanks Melissa. I am actually up by North Branch, but have always wanted to take a "road trip" to Gerten's! LOL

Linda

o

• Posted by jel48 Z4 Michigan (My Page) on
    Thu, May 12, 11 at 4:49

Gerten's is great, Linda. You'll love it!

My grandparents put in some Zoysia grass many, many years ago, and I recall all the things about it that others mentioned. I wouldn't want it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here