Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maidofshade

Has Anyone??

maidofshade
17 years ago

Has anyone successfully overwintered potted hostas here in Minnesota, I know that there is a Hosta forum, but I want the "dirt" from someone here who has actually done it. Any tips would be appreciated. I have also ordered a couple of Jap Maples and wonder if anyone has tried these in pots. Thanks

Cheryl

Comments (10)

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    17 years ago

There are quite a few Minnesota people on the hosta forum. I'd try posting there.

• jel48
    17 years ago

You mean outdoors, don't you? Hostas do have to go through a dormant period so you wouldn't want to pot them up and bring them indoors. I haven't done very many in pots but I did put in several in galvanized buckets and tubs (I set them out with my little windmill and call the area my farmyard garden). Of the ones in the tubs with no extra protection, about half made it through the winter of 2005/2006. We'll have to see about 2006/2007. I think a lot of folks do well though by giving them some protection. Setting the potted hostas in an unheated garage or shed, or mulching over them, that sort of thing.

• maidofshade
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I meant outdoors for sure...We cut down a huge tree and have sun where there was not much and so I want to try pots for a bunch. I have posted on the HOSTA forum and got advice but not from Minnesota, that's why I stuck this here. I was thinking Whiskey barrels and don't want to lug them into a garage if I didn't have to. I know some tip or cover with mulch after they are frozen. I just wondered if anyone has real success in our neck of the woods. I am about an hour west of the metro.

• mcali
    17 years ago

I transplanted a few huge hostas (nothing special: run of the mill pure green hostas) to big planters last year and left them out without protection for the winter. They are just now sprouting, so I would think it would be fine. In my experience: most hostas are like daylilies: very hardy.

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    17 years ago

I put a Sum and Substance in a big pot that stayed out all winter. No growth yet but I still have hope - I'll report back when I know for sure.

I've been surprised what I can keep out all winter - so far it's been woodies though - junipers, dogwoods etc.

Ted

• maidofshade
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good Responses. Thanks! Keep me posted on what lives and dies for you. I am going to probably try some plants that I have multiples of in the bigger pots such as Honeybells. For me it is the ditch lily of the Hosta family. Has anyone had sucess with Jap. Maples?????

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    17 years ago

I have 2 Japanese maples up in my unheated attic. I left them out until November, then brought them in. They started leafing out a month ago or so. I worry now they will freak when they get to go outside, even though they are both in sunny windows.

Ted

• maidofshade
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ted Not only do you lug them in the house but up the steps too? I would have to do something like that also because our basement is too warm. I was thinking more about the unheated porch. I will have to experiment. It's hard to know when to take them out especially after hearing about others in warmer zones getting taken out by frosts. Yikes

• tedb_threecedarfarm
    17 years ago

Yes - that's just how crazy I am. They actually are still pretty small (2 or 3 gallon pots), so realtively easy. I've moved them out the shaded front porch now and they are very cute! I'll bring them back in if it cold.

Worse to move are 2 rosemaries that have gotten HUGE. They used to go in the mudroom, but they are too big for there so they spent the winter under lights in the basement. They did OK but started growing in Feb. and all that foliage is to tender to make it outside, so I'll sheer them back and they'll have to start again.

The Sum & Substance hosta did't make it - but I'll try again! This year I also thought I'd try some Ice Dance sedge in a permanent pot. It looks so good late in the season, even in November and December.

Ted

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Some hosta species are more cold hardy than others, and some more vigorous too, as you might expect. I have only had experience with Hosta clausa(an unusual species) and Hosta lancifolia(the most common green one there is). Both of these seem very hard as I have left pots of them on the ground on the north side of my house with no protection and they come through.

I have over wintered many other varieties in pots successfully, but they are covered and protected through the winter.