Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can new seedlings tolerate Neem oil spray for insects?

Posted by srj19 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 20:58

I discovered a problem with scale insects on some citrus plants I indoor for the winter. I noticed that these litle buggers are showing up now on some vegetable seedlings even though the problem plants have been moved to the porch.

Do you know if the Neem oil I've been using on the trees is ok to use on new seedlings?

Thanks,

Scott

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can new seedlings tolerate Neem oil spray for insects?

I had a similar problem last spring. Really struggled with scale. Moving the infected plants outdoors turned out to be the best way to get rid of it. Natural predators did the trick.

Down here in the metro, it's getting warm enough to harden off some seedlings--e.g., spinach--but it's still too cold for basil and tomatoes. So the "moving outdoors" solution depends on the type of seedlings you've got.

I've used neem oil, but not for scale. It can be pretty harsh so I wouldn't assume it's okay for seedlings. Why not try a diluted version of it on one and see what happens?

o

That's a great question! I have some variety of spidermite which seems to migrate from mature plants to certain seedlings. Last year this was hard on impatiens. This year it's on datura, moonflower and maybe peppers. These mites are under control on mature plants but the seedlings are different. I wondered about neem too, has anyone used anything mild that works?

o

Well, I spayed some Neem oil diluted in water on the tomatoes and sumflowers and it seemed to stress them a little. They're still ok for the most part but some leaves are a little off color and curled. Maybe it's more than seedlings can handle. When I sprayed more mature plants with this solution it was great at taking care of some blight.

When the scale was really bad, really scaley I went after both little trees with a cup of neem solution and a tooth brush. It was really amazing how much of of that junk just brushed off. Following that I gave them all a shower, and a spray of neem solution. Seems to work well to get them cleaned up and looking good.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here