Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprinkler system recommendations

Posted by hrtbreaker MN (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 21:54

Greetings friends,

I live in Blaine and am interested in putting in a lawn irrigation system in my yard. It's a typical 1/3rd of an acre suburban lawn size.

Does anyone have any recommendations on good companies to use? I've googled lawn sprinkler installers and have found a ton of companies but don't know where to start.

Other than price, what should you consider when having a system installed?

Thanks for any & all help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprinkler system recommendations

We had ours installed last year by Hedlund Irrigation.
They beat the other companies by MILES when it came to price. They were fast, having our system installed in 1/2 day... we also have 1/3 acre.

They set us up so we have room to expand and also were willing to install an extra spigot for us at the back of our lot and didn't charge a huge amount for it.

They gave us several choices for the types of heads we wanted for different applications and even were willing to switch out the heads during the install when we didn't like the spray pattern onto one of our gardens.

Later in the year, when one of the heads started malfunctioning, they were out here within 2 days and replaced the head, no questions asked.

High recommendations.

If you choose to use someone else, it's very important that you are very familiar with programming. You need to be able to add time to zones as you get to know what your lawn/gardens need.

Also, if you have gardens, go ahead and have them put on your system, even if you plan to manually water or plan for drip irrigation.

o
Part 2.

I just thought of something else.
Be aware that your lawn requires more water than gardens and shrubs. Ask your installer to put your gardens on a different zone than your lawn.
And depending on some factors, you might also have a different kind of head. One that shoots a less forceful stream... though it doesn't shoot as far.
If I had it to do again, I'd have had them install some heads at the back corners of my yard... up on 2-3' risers. This way, it wouldn't shoot AT my plants, rather ABOVE them.

o

We called Chet at Springborn 1-763-780-8012.I would STRONGLY recommend his and his crew!

o

I loved the guy that installed ours. He was able to do what I wanted that 3 others who put in bids couldn't (rid o rust on select zones and a drip window box w/ a shut-off - doesn't sound that tough, but apparently was for some), plus he was much less expensive. I'm in the northern subs too, but he works all over the cities. Can I e-mail you the contact info directly?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here