Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwing_gw

hybrid teas..whoda thunk?

birdwing
18 years ago

I am very fond of hybrid teas mostly because my grandma grew them just fine the whole time I was growing up. she's always thrilled to see them in my garden when she makes it over here (she doesn't have a garden anymore) and my whole gardening thing is pretty much a tribute to her. she grew everything and anything without batting an eye. I remember her garden as a fairyland (she had the set of garden fairy books and I remember being sure I saw fairies in her garden)

anyway, my teas are a little worse for wear this spring. the funny thing is, the first one to green up was a blue girl I got at menards for 1.99. Of course my $34 ingrid bergman and some others are still lying low. we'll see.

Anyone else defiantly try to grow hybrid teas?

Comments (6)

• twohuskies
    18 years ago

I grow a few but I'm much more into hardier roses. I tried to kill The McCartney and Double Delight by not winter protecting and big suprise they somehow made it through. They still might meet the shovel since they haven't done much of anything the last 2 years. Of course one of my favorite roses (Grandma's Blessing) that's supposed to be hardy to zone 4 may have died.

I find the winter protection required to grow HTs is just too much. I mean, I'll do it for a few pretties that I really must have, but there is no way I'd want to tip all 100 of my roses. There's just no way. Right now I only tip 14 which isn't too bad but I'm still planning on getting rid of a few more. I would much rather fuss over the slightly more hardy David Austin roses. I give them a light covering over the base and have not lost one yet. I'm very fond of the Bucks, old roses, and hardy shrubs too.

Even with all that said I would have a hard time parting with Chicago Peace, Peace, and Love & Peace.

• MinnesotaSue_z4
    18 years ago

I treat them as annuals. I buy them at big box places, let them bloom and if they come back, more power to 'em. I grow hardier roses, love the Bucks, and also treat miniatures like annuals. I don't have enough time to tip, care for or worry about (bugs/diseases). I have had one back surgery, work as a nurse and will not risk my back on plants anymore. I also deal in antiques where auctions take a big bite out of my summer time.

• Nettie
    18 years ago

My HT's came through the winter without losing a cane. I have 18 of them. I tip them- takes me about a week of doing two or three each evening after work and about the same time to upright them in the spring. My husband helps because he loves them. Lots of Bucks and Austins as well but those I use in perennial beds where there isn't room for tipping.

• jel48
    18 years ago

I'm afraid I treat them a bit like annuals too.... but you can buy beautiful tea roses (even the big gallon size ones already blooming) for the same price you'd pay for a hanging basket of annuals. And they are so much more.... I went to Donahue's open house this morning and brought home two clematis and two gorgeous rose bushes... with some of the most fragrent lovely roses already in bloom. They will stay in pots all summer and if I get around to it I'll bury them in the garden in the fall. If not, I will still have had so much enjoyment from them. Planted in my garden though, are 12-14 much hardier species roses. Can't wait to see how they do this summer. All made it through the winter with absolutely no protection and are all growing nicely at this point.

• stefanb8
    18 years ago

The Blue Girl my parents bought at Menards for that price turned out to be some sort of old garden rose - a gallica, I'm fairly sure, and I'm watching for its first blooms this season because my hunch is that it might be Charles de Mills. Did yours bloom last year? If not, that might be the reason (it's only once-blooming in early summer) and also the reason for its hardiness.

Stefan

• twohuskies
    17 years ago

Charles de Mills (or any gallica) sounds sooooo much better than Blue Girl. She never did well in my yard.

Sponsored