Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flowering quince and/or butterfly bush hardiness

Posted by ornithophilous z4 MN (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 19, 05 at 22:28

Anybody have any success with Chaenomeles or Buddleia in zone 4? If so, which species/cultivars have worked for you? I'm usually willing to try to stretch zone ratings of perennials I really want to have, but shrubs are a bit more of an investment. If it is only going to be a waste of time, effort, and money, I'll plant something else!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowering quince and/or butterfly bush hardiness

We live in NW Iowa, about 45 miles SW of Worthington, MN. We have several butterfly bushes which usually overwinter just fine. Through the years we've probably had about a 75% success rate with them. "White Profusion" & the shorter "Nanho Indigo/Plum" varieties have been flawlessly hardy for us (even surviving some transplantings.) "Pink Delight" is more tentative; our first two died, but our current one was planted in 2001 & is just now leafing out. "Royal Red" we are experimenting with; one planted last year came through just fine. We have a dark one, probably "Black Knight", which has also been around since 2000. Two separate times we tried the yellow variety "Honeycomb", but both died for us, as did the variegated "Harlequin". Truth is, I don't think we've ever lost one that made it through its first winter. We usually leave the branches all winter for their interesting shape, pruning them this time of year. Usually we pile some leaves around the base as a mulch.

Best wishes,
Randy W.

o

I've had mixed luck with Buddleias. The ones in raised beds seem to have the best chance (our yard is quite damp). When they do survive, they die all the way back to the ground, and they sleep until at least June.

I did see a huge Black Knight in a nursery in Pequot Lakes a few years ago. But they had it planted in the ground, in the corner of a dirt floor greenhouse. It was in full sun, and dry ground and sooo happy! Must have been at least 6 feet tall and covered with blooms.

Lynn

o

I'd love to have a quince also, so I'm eager to see any personal experiences with them in this zone.

o

Flowering quince typically bloom only up to the snowline, even though they're vegetatively hardy otherwise. The bushes with orange flowers that cut off in a straight line are almost comical to see in blossom. They do make attractive wall shrubs when trained and pruned flat, and this method may (or may not) provide extra shelter under some circumstances. There could be hardier variants in existence, otherwise low-growing cultivars certainly might be better recommended here.

o

I've had mixed success with butterfly bush. The first one (Purple Nanho) didn't make it through the winter of '03/'04. However, I seem to be having better luck this year with a Black Knight butterfly bush. It's already leafing out, which is pretty miraculous considering I live in St. Paul. This time I planted it in a raised bed with good drainage and plenty of morning and afternoon sunlight. I have no idea if this made a difference. It's more likely the mild winter we had and the huge mound of straw I put on top of it is what kept it alive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here