Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
box elder bugs

Posted by nicoller mn (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 22:47

My husband and I are having a huge problem with box elder bugs. They have been in our house all winter and we are anticipating a worse than usual outdoor crop of them.I think we are going to break down and use Tempo this year on the outside of the house(already used soapy water and box elder be-gone). Has anyone used it? Any effects on plants? Would love some advice.... they are really bad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: box elder bugs

I have used Bugg Slayer and it works great.
Unlike soap, it doesn't work on contact, but it does have lasting residual effect.

A few years back, at a different house, we had them terribly. They live near female box elder trees and live on the seeds (I think).

When we had trouble, I called an exterminator and they were kind enough to educate me on how these bugs live. In MN, our summers allow them to have about 3 life cycles. First the adults come out of their warm winter hiding spots (usually our attics), glue their butts together, lay eggs (clusters of red dots, no bigger than a grain of salt). The eggs hatch and the wingless- nymphs run around and feed. The key is killing the nymphs before they develop wings.

If you're diligent with Bugg Slayer and soap, you can make a substantial dent in the population and greatly reduce your winter squatters.

I keep a spray bottle at the ready on the front porch and back deck so that I can spray any cluster of these annoyances I find! It really helps to drench their "sunning spots" with Bugg Slayer since it does have lasting residual effects.

In my yard, those sunning spots are on the East side of my house (in the morning) and the west side of my garden as the sun comes over the top!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here