Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belle_michele

Clematis -advice PLEASE !!

belle_michele
17 years ago

Greetings All,

I'd like to plant a few Clematis this year and I want them not only to survive, but to thrive.

I've tried them before, but realize now I didn't plant them deep enough, etc., and probably had the wrong type for the area I planted them in.

I do have one, that I've forgotten the name, it's a blueish purple, I think it was one of those end of the season sale items -- that bravely tries to climb up a shepards hook, and it does put out a few blooms... I'm not sure what to do to help it.

Also, I'd like to plant some up against my house that will get sun early in the morning and late afternoon-which would do best here and which have the longest bloom times?

I think they're all pretty, so I don't have a preference colorwise--I want health/vigor and extended bloom time.

What kind of trellis do they work best with?

I've checked out the clematis forum, but I'd really like to find out what works best here, not in Texas or Georgia or California (seems like every forum I go to, except for this one, everyone is from Georgia, Texas or California-none of which weatherwise, I can relate to).

THANKS!!!!

~Michele

Comments (27)

• jel48
    17 years ago

Hi Michele. If you are in the twin cities or south from there, I'd suggest going to Donahue's in Faribault to buy your Clematis. Donahue's are "The Clematis People". Their plants aren't cheap but neither are they extremely pricy. Follow their directions for planting the clematis and then sit back and watch them thrive. I planted 5 of their Clematis in 2005 and they were very nice last year. They grew well and bloomed nicely. I put in several more, also from Donahue's, last year and can't wait to see how they do. I'm just awfully pleased with them.

As far as trellis's go, I'm not sure whether there is a best kind or not. The ones I have are made of iron rods, about 5/8" in diameter. The Clematis wrap around and around them, so I'm thinking that these kind probably work better then those made of bulkier materials.

Good Luck with them! They are beautiful plants.

• Julie
    17 years ago

The thing I remember with clematis is Hot Heads- Cold Feet - Water Deep. I think for most- the more sun the better- although- you should mulch well- or "create" shade for the roots. I put a huge rock just to the south of the one I have in full blistering sun- It seems to like it very much.
    Now keep in mind, there are many types of clematis- ones that will do better in shade and some that do not climb but will use bushes or other things to ramble about- and some that would like to take over the world as our native Virgin's Bower is wont to do.
    There is a Clematis web site that I have spent much time looking through and dreaming- I do not have the link handy- but a little research will reward you greatly and you can select just the right plant for the right place and be happy for years to come!
    I recently learned a new trick for clematis support near a structure- use fishing line doubled - with simple overhand knots every foot so that the clinging leaf stems which hold the clematis up will not slip down. I plan on putting 3 or 4 eye hooks in the facia boards above my clematis- and sink in a fence post into the ground near the plant to have a virtually invisible support structure that will allow the plant to climb to the top of the house before falling over itself.
    Enjoy finding the perfect solution for you desires!

Julie

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

I have two gorgeous ones. Thing to remember is that when you first plant them they'll do very little the first year, a bit more the second, and then go to town after that even if you get a fairly established plant. It's the root system getting developed. There are all sorts of "rules" for trimming back clematis - some bloom on new growth some on old, and a third type on both. I can't remember which roman numeral goes with which style, you'd have to look that up - but I CAN tell you that if you have one that grows on old wood or both DO NOT TRIM IT BACK :) Most of the others aren't very hardy here anyway as I recall...They like their tops to be in sun (or a few types like I have in dappled light) with mulched but not soaking roots. Deep watering but allowing to dry out a bit between is good. Keeping the base of the plant in the shade is the key. You can even plant stuff around the base of it once it's a bit bigger to achieve that.

I grow "Blue Moon" (now called Clare de Lune I think) and "The President" because they can tollerate and can thrive in lower light. There are even a couple that can handle almost full shade (they need a smidge of morning light for largest growth) but most love being out in the sun for most of the day.

-Marie

• belle_michele
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THANKS so MUCH Jel48, Julie and Marie!!

I found a website called Clematis on the Web (WOW, what great site for a clematis newbie like myself!), I didn't realize that some clematis are FRAGRANT!!! A definite PLUS for me!

I also found a website for Donahue's...I live in Shakopee so it would be a nice little drive for some weekend within the next few weeks (plus, I've never seen Faribault, so it would be nice to do a little sightseeing). They are having their open house this weekend (Friday thru Sunday) so I may even venture out this weekend!!!

I love the idea of using fishing line-it would be just perfect for along the side of my house--it's the one area I have that my endless summer hydrangea thrive, so I think it would make a very pretty combination.

OH THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!!

I am just soooooooooooooooo excited about adding three or four Clematis to my garden!!!

~Michele

• john_w
    17 years ago

Make sure you match the vigor of the clematis with the site and companion plants. The only fragrant clematis for our region, sweet autumn clematis, is practically a bush that can smother everything in its path. Others are delicate little things that you can allow to weave through other plants.

And pay attention to those numbers, type one, two or three. Only those that must be cut down to the ground (III)are reliably hardy in zone 4.

Oh, and one other point, rabbits love clematis. Make sure you surround the base with some sort of barrier if rabbits are a problem in your area.

I have five clematis: 'The President,' 'Hagley Hybrid,' 'Niobe,' a white single I cannot name and a Polish viticella, 'Kermiesina.' I grow these through tuteurs or climbing roses.

• belle_michele
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greetings John,
    Thanks for the warning about rabbits...they are the BANE of my existence in my front/unfenced yard. Unfortunately, the side I was going to plant them on is not fenced-so I will have to fortify the area against the wretched little vermin.

Really, is there ANY plant that rabbits DON'T like, except for maybe weeds? My dog makes short work of any rabbits/gophers/squirrels that manage to get inside my fenced yard-it's my front yard that sometimes seems to be nothing more than a salad bar. Our neighborhood literally 'hops' with rabbits, it's not uncommon to drive by and see anywhere from 3 to 5 of these plant destroyers in someones front yard, just blissfully chewing away. Everytime I see a rabbit all I can think of is Elmer Fudd singing about 'Kill the Wabbits'....

I meant to look into the pruning aspect...Thanks for letting me know about that-I never thought to check that out before buying any clematis--I had just assumed that those with a two would be safe. It's a challenge sometimes to find plants here that will not merely survive, but thrive. This is made all the more difficult by the fact a lot of clematis are designated as being able to grown in zone 4 (though have the prune of 2 or higher).

I actually have a place where sweet autumn clematis would be perfect...it also might be interesting to plant it next to my hops and see who wins. I prefer flowers that have a fragrance-I won't grow a rose that has no smell...

THANKS for the Help/Advice!

~Michele

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

belle michelle, You are in Shakopee, I'm not sure exactly what John is saying about the only hardy ones here are the ones that need to be cut to the ground - 'cause you'd better not do that with Jackmanii types and they are VERY hardy around there. I also DO NOT trim my President as the once I did it failed to thrive and bloom well the next year... See? Another good reason to go to Donahue's - they can really tell you what's what! The whole pruning thing really is not so fussy as it gets made out to be excepting a few special ones. As I said, if I cut either of mine back (and supposedly I "should" at least part way) I don't get any serious size and a decided lack of bloomage.

Really, they are NOT hard to grow, they just require patience and someone to point at one and tell you - "This WILL grow here and no fuss!" :)

-Marie

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Hello, Michele.
    We're a bit north of you so thought I would chime in and post a photo of one of the Clematis we have. Was planted here when we moved in four years ago - I believe it is Jackmanii. Blooms on new wood - I trim it back every spring. Its an eastern exposure so it gets sun until mid-day
    The paler clematis to the right was supposed to be Clematis 'Rouge Cardinal' but turned out to be something quite different!
    Anyway, clematis should thrive in your zone.
    HTH
    Margaret

• john_w
    17 years ago

Jackmanii clematis do just fine with heavy pruning. The guideline for type III clematis is to cut them to 5-6 inches from the ground. This encourages heavier, fuller flowers and vigorous vines as Margaret's picture shows.

The type 1 and 2 clematis bloom on old wood and they are not reliably hardy in our climate unless your take special efforts each winter to protect the vines. Some are hybrids with tropical species' heritage.

Marie, I cut my 'The President' back each year to six inches. By midsummer it's pushing out the top of the tuteur.

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

I know this sounds dumb, but what IS a tuteur?

Jenny P

• john_w
    17 years ago

You've seen them:

{{gwi:292842}}

Here is a link that might be useful: A definition for you

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    17 years ago

You are right I have seen them, but I have always called them an obelisk. That one looks tall! I like it!

Jenny P

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

I grow my clematis on a section of wooden fence that we put in just for the clematis. I have Henryi, Jackamanii, Nelly Moser, Niobe and President. They are doing beautifully, I have never trimmed any of them, I keep their feet cool with perennials and they get sun from sunrise until about 2pm.

From reading these posts I would venture to say that the only constants are warm head, cool feet.

• selkie_b
    17 years ago

Totally agree zenpotter! I think it depends on where they are growing - mine being a bit more shaded - are probably a bit more stressed when growing and therefore do not tolerate trimming. *shrug*. I did mis-speak on the Jackmanii, I admit - they are new growth bloomers... now if I could recall the other common one 'round here that I was REALLY thinking of (big old purple thing) they are "old growth". Eh, I plant them, keep them happy, they grow and bloom for me. Pretty simple ;)

-Marie

• belle_michele
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Margaret-the clematis in that photo are GORGEOUS!!! That's exactly what I am looking for!

John-thanks for the correct name for that type of trellis...I hate to admit I just called them 'pyramid-type-thingies'... No wonder salespeople look at me like I'm either speaking in tongues or am a blabbering idiot!

Marie-thanks for the vote of confidence that I should be able to grow them and that they aren't as high maintenance as I feared. I see a couple of other houses in my neighborhood that have them, but have been hesitant to drop in on complete strangers to ask them about their plants (for fear that, thinking I'm either a stalker or 'casing' their house for a future robbery, they call the police).

I went to Donahue's website and was surprised that no prices were listed-I emailed them and they wrote back saying I should request their catalogue at their website. I was kinda surprised that on the catalogue request it requested my age...I thought maybe the older you were the quicker you get the catalogue...I was tempted to put in 97 figuring that they'd need to get that catalogue to me FAST as my plant buying days may be numbered.

Anyway, even without lying about my age, I got the catalogue very quickly and was very surprised (pleasantly) about the prices--INCREDIBLY reasonable!!

I'm going to go out there this weekend and seek their advice as to what would work best for me--I'm thinking perhaps everyone have the same pruning requirements so that come fall, in my autumn-addled state, I don't accidently forget which clematis gets cut back to what level. I tend to get carried away come pruning time and prune everything that doesn't move.

I've put a firm limit (ha-ha, I say that EVERY time I go plant shopping, who am I kidding???!!) on four Clematis.

THANK YOU everyone on ALL the Advice, Suggestions and Input!!!

~Michele

• zenpotter
    17 years ago

Michele, It is very hard to limit oneself on Clematis.

• mnwsgal
    17 years ago

I have become a clematis addict with 18 varieties growing in my beds. Today I picked up two new ones at Donahue's open house. Texensis, Gravetye Beauty for the bright red blooms and for fun and experimentation Montana Rubens.

Has anyone tried growing Montana Rubens in a very large container and overwintering it in an unheated garage? I have had success with other zone 5 plants overwintering in my garage. Or planting it then laying the vines down after a frost and covering with dirt (MN tip)? or just covering with bags of leaves?

Bobbie

• stpaulite
    17 years ago

Since we're on the topic of clematis...

Has anyone had luck growing clematis from seed? My Elsa Spath (Which by the way is already going gangbusters--no pruning required.) had all these seed heads so I thought I'd throw them in some potting soil and see what happens. Will anything happen?

Also, I've had on again, off again luck with Sweet Autumn Clematis. The first plant I bought bloomed prolifically the first two years, and then disappeared. I bought a replacement, which I planted in the same spot, a partial sun/shade area. It languished and also may have disappeared--no signs of life yet. Any thoughts about what I might be doing wrong?

• sureturtle
    17 years ago

I just bought a Sweet Autumn (intended for a east deck pole and the deck--10ft tall). Any advice on how to train the clematis to the deck rail--about 13ft above the ground? I hope something pretty, no chicken wire, please.

I also bought a Multi-Blue, planted with President, Ramona already there on a same trellis at the SE corner where they get sun from 10-2. How is you experience with Multi Blue? I read it flowers on Old/New Wood.

I am also thinking a Bee Jubilee for a Oblisk about 5ft tall, almost in the open where it gets almost full sun from May to July. Would it work? Better choice of Clematis? What would be best perennials to plant around the base of the Oblisk to shade the roots of Clematis?

Thanks in advance!

• belle_michele
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greetings All,

WOW, going out to Donahue's was a GREAT experience!! Plus, Faribault is such a pretty town.... I'd forgotten Henry Fields was out there and had a store where you could buy plants and bareroot plants (while their reputation is suspect for catalogue sales--I have heard that if you buy directly from their store they are fine. I'm on a limited budget right now so just getting a few Clematis was enough of a 'plant splurge' for me now...maybe another time I check out Henry Fields.

The help at Donahue's was fantastic--they said they didn't have any Clematis out on the floor (as opposed to what they offer catalogue-wise) that won't do well in Minnesota without having to go to extreme measures. They even helped me chose some that would be easy/hardy for my area and that would be pretty much in bloom for most of the summer.

I got:
    Gypsy Queen
    Bees Jubilee
    Kilian Donahue
    Victor Hugo
    Mme. Edouard Andre

It was hard to choose...I easily could have walked out of there with at least a dozen (or more) different types but thought I'd start with these, get them settled, and then if I feel confident (and have the money) take another jaunt up there later on..

A friend of mine that lives outside of Chicago is sending me three Sweet Autumn Clematis, she started these the year before last for me but since I was in the hospital last year, she held off sending them to me. I hope they do well, she says she thinks they are the northern equivalent of kudzu (we're both originally from the south-though my grandparents on both sides immigrated to Minnesota from the old countries) so I hope they do well for me.

The one thing that was a surprise for me about Clematis was the tip from Donahue's about planting them...they were showing how when you plant your clematis, you actually plant it deeper than it is in the pot and COVER by about 1 to 1 1/2 inches the base/crown of the plant with soil. I had read about the 'cool feet' aspect of mulching and planting around it to keep the base cool/shady, but never actually planting it deeper. Am I the only one that didn't know/hadn't heard this?

I'm going to try to get them planted today before the rain hits....

~Michele

• jel48
    17 years ago

Hi Michele. I knew, but the first place I heard it was from Donahues, when I bought my first clematis from them a couple of years ago. I followed their directions exactly and thought the results last summer were amazing.

• belle_michele
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jel48
    I'm surprised I haven't heard/read that before about Clematis-planting them deep/below the crown.

Which Clematis did you get from Donahues?

Clematis definitely have the potential for being addictive (I am an admitted daylily addict)--especially since Clematis climb, you can tuck them between plants and give them something to climb up on.

Three of the Clematis I bought on Saturday from Donahue's are putting BUDS OUT!!! I'm just so excited!!!!

Plus my 'mystery' clematis that grows up my shepherds hook is putting out leaves! I didn't bother (actually forgot) to cut it down last fall and am suprised it's putting out leaves all over the old vine. Should I prune it down now or leave it be? Not that it's any help, but it's a Purple Clematis that blooms off and on all summer--it was one of those end of the sale bargains I got a couple years ago at Walmart that I didn't think would live..

~Michele

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

Leave it or it won't bloom! :) If you are going to prune at all only prune in fall or if after the leaves open you have some dead bits at the tips.

-Marie

• kellyskabin_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I live just across the MN border into WI and I have a Clematis, 3 years old. I remember them blooming ALL summer; this year ours was almost the first flower to bloom, and it was beautiful, and since then [early MAY] it has done nothing but 'grow'... no blossoms. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Bev

• janroze
    12 years ago

Humm, planting deeper may be a different take on what I learned when I first bought them and read every web site I could.

I followed the advice to remove lower leaves and coil that part of the stem below ground to encourage a larger root system with roots developing from each leaf base.
    gramma jan

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

There are many varieties of clematis. Perhaps you have one of the large flowering varieties that blooms early and sometimes (in our area) has a smaller repeat bloom in the fall.

Some varieties do bloom all summer. These are mostly pruning type 3 which bloom on new growth. Some of them are small flowered while others have large flowers.

Clematis on the Web is a great site for info is as is our clematis forum. I have learned much from both sites the last several years and have become a clematis addict with over 80 plants in my suburban yard.

Asao, this is an early bloomer which I cut back and am now getting some rebloom. This is early bloom on a three year old plant.

{{gwi:425340}}

NOID, though it may be Earnest Markham. This one has been blooming since June and will bloom until late fall.

{{gwi:425341}}

Gravety Beauty started blooming early June and will continue until late fall.

{{gwi:594181}}