Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy native plants?

Posted by slednfool mn (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 23:57

Can anybody tell me where I can find native plants in the north metro area?
Landscape Alternatives is the only place I have been able to find, but they are a bit of a drive away.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy native plants?

I was in a similar situation last year. I decided I wanted to grow Rattlesnake Master and couldn't find anything local and I refused to spend $10 per plant for mail order. For $2.00 I now have more seed than I know what to do with. Granted, I may have to wait a bit but my wallet thanks me.

o

Try Prairie Restorations:
http://www.prairieresto.com/
Another one is:
http://www.prairienursery.com/store/

Both of these are located in the MN and WI.

Jenny P

o

Thanks Jenny, Prairie Restorations looks good.

o

Here are two more for you. I get my native seed from Prairie Moon Nursery they also have bare root plants.

ttp://www.prairiemoon.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Friends school

o

Another place to check out is www.morningskygreenery.com
located near Morris MN. I've bought some grasses from her at a reasonable price.
Peggy

o

Try Dragonfly Gardens. They are located in Wisconsin but
be at the farmers markets this year.
They have allot of natives!
Lynn

o

Yes, check out a farmers' market near you. I get most of my natives from The Vagary, which has a stall at the St. Paul market. Farmers' markets seem to attract native plant enthusiasts (like me).

o

Provided by your tax dollars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native plant suppliers and landscapers in Minnesota

o

The Friends School plant sale catalog has three pages of native plants, if you can do your shopping on Mother's Day weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: catalog

o

I've never been there, but Mother Earth Gardens in Minneapolis carries native plants. I believe they get their plants from Landscape Alternatives. I keep meaning to check them out.

I was at Landscape Alternatives last weekend (yes, I am eager to dive in!). Some things are available now, but they said it was too early for most plants, and to call ahead to make sure they've got what I want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here