Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
annual morning glorys

Posted by izzy58 4 (mrsstargazerlily@aol.com) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 0:02

Grrrrrrrr. OK, so now the weather is nice. my morning glory plants that i have been weathering indoors could finally be planted!! so happily i planted them outdoors today and by this evening they are practically dead!! i did have them outside during the days when the temp was 50 degrees and above so why now are they practically dead? i also planted my mixed colored ones and they are just fine but the blue ones..... anyone with any thoughts on this? my sweet pea babies weathered much better than the morning glorys...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: annual morning glorys

I am not a morning glory expert. I have found that morning glories do not transplant very well and seem to do better direct seeded into the ground. Also, they like it very warm, and I have found that it has worked best for me to plant in June when the soil is truly warm. Sweet peas like it cold.

Because I have had difficulty getting MG and moon flowers to bloom before frost, I have grown them in containers with a very careful and gradual hardening off period.

o
RE: annual morning glorys

They are probably in shock...I disagree with Hoghaven, I think they transplant just fine, been doing it for years. Make sure they have adaquate water (they probably do) and wait, lots of things shock in the first warm days.

Helen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here