Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Gardening

Posted by srn790 minnesota (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 0:16

I am new to gardening and have decided to grow 10 different vegetables, not knowing what I was getting into. I started out growing, 4 of each: cucumber, melon, watermelon, tomato, bushel bean, hot pepper and green pepper. I made the mistake of planting them in the middle of April. About two weeks ago I started putting them under a grow light. They have doubled in size. Just yesterday i put them in a five gallon buckets under the lights again. Today they look a little droopy and wilted. I can not put them outside until the first week of June. Am I doing everything right so far or is there more I need to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Gardening

I would start hardening them off now. Put them outside in a sheltered spot and bring them in at night for a few days then put them in the ground. If it is going to freeze cover them.

o
RE: New to Gardening

I understand that you are planning on growing them in the five gallon buckets, right? If you are planning to put them in a garden bed here in the Twin Cities you can plant them outside now.

Newly transplanted plants will often look a bit wilted the first day or so. Be sure they have been watered well. Expect they have perked up by now.

All plants grown inside for the winter/spring need to be hardened off before being placed in sun full time. This means to move them into the sun for a short part of the day and each day increasing their time in the sun. That will prevent the plants dieing from sunburn/sun scald. Another way is to put them in full sun but put something near the plants to shade them for part of the day. After about a week of this they should be okay in full sun.

Another year I suggest you harden off the plants before transplanting into the five gallon containers, just a lot easier to move them while they are still in smaller containers. You would still need to shade the plants after transplanting to the five gallon container or the garden bed for a couple of days.

Watch the forecast and move them back in if a frost is expected, or cover them with a light sheet. The June 1st date is suggested for warm weather plants to let the soil warm thoroughly if planting in a garden bed. If you are leaving them in the containers you don't have the problem of too cold soil. With the high temps the last few days soil in the beds should be warm enough also.

The only vegetables I grow in pots are tomatoes. I know others who garden completely in pots. Keep in mind that those in pots may need water every day in the summer and sometimes twice a day. You want to keep the soil moist but not soggy. Some people add a moisture additive, like Soil Moist, and many companies already have the moisture additive already in the mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here