Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreen shrubs for foundation planting

Posted by miquelyn 4 (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 4:02

We are replacing Maney junipers that outgrew their space in front of our colonial-style house. Any suggestions for evergreen shrubs that will not exceed 4' in height or width, and do well in zone 4 would be greatly appreciated. The exposure is western, so we get a lot of sun and wind. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreen shrubs for foundation planting

Little Giant and Woodward are both cultivars of Arborvitae that grow slowly, 4-6 feet at best, and make nice foundation plants. Althoug they can reach the 6' mark, they grow so slowly and take so well to an early summer pruning that I would recommend them over a smaller shrub that might look too small against the house for too long. With the wind and sun, they are a better choice than a Yew, which can winterburn in that exposure. I have not run across a Juniper that I like very well, but that is my own prejudice, someone else may come up with a good Juniper variety that might work for you. Good luck, Helen.

o

I love the avborvitae, but around here they are deer candy. If you have a lot of deer in the area you probably will have to cover them in the winter.

o

We live in a rapidly growing suburb area, so deer aren't a problem. I think arborvitae probably is the way to go. Is there an arborvitae that has more of an arching shape, or a more casual shape than a tight, rounded globe, yet stays within the 4-6' range?

o

I can't really think of an arb with an arching, more informal shape. Perhaps more selective pruning versus shearing would help keep it looser looking.

You could also look at some of the dwarf spruces such as bird's nest spruce. Can be a bit pricey for a decent sized specimen though.

o

You could try the PJM rhodies. They do retain their leaves in the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here