Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

plant labelling

doucanoe
16 years ago

Okay, so the mini blinds are free, but they don't last long. They get brittle and when I rake off mulch in spring they break off. I am looking for an affordable labeling system for my gardens.

I have found a website that sells zinc markers 100 for about $30. Now for the question: what to mark them with that will be permanent. So far every medium I have tried has faded.

I noticed at Dottie's last weekend that she had made labels. I also found some testimonials about the P-touch label maker using outdoor gradr tape. Anyone use this or is there a better labeler around?

Linda

Comments (16)

• phyllis__mn
    16 years ago

If you are looking for inexpensive, try the paint pens with a narrow nib. They last forever, I think

• sandysgardens
    16 years ago

Linda - what's the website for the markers?

Thanks
    Sandy

• jel48
    16 years ago

Linda, I use the p-touch label maker and some of my labels have been out there for the past two summers and look as good as new yet. I can't say they'll be that way forever, but so far they're looking good.

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here you go, Sandy!

http://www.everlastlabel.com/

So, Phyllis, you have had good luck with the paint pens, than? Much cheaper than the label machine if they work!

Linda

• deweymn
    16 years ago

What I just used were a plastic blind easily cut with a saw. It is the wider type, about 2" wide, white, and about 3' long although they are sold in any widths and lengths. I only used a permanent marker and I know it will fade. They went in the ground easily or first I pushed a garden trowel in to make a slit. They look nice and I did one for each row of veggies. Much better than the mini's and if I have enough time this fall I will paint standard names on them with some enamel paint(or even pics). One blind gave me about 100 twelve inch markers. I used a chop saw so I could easily get them all the same length.

• cnord
    16 years ago

The paint pens work great. My husband made me some great markers. He used a heavy wire, about 12 inches long. Coiled the top and hung a small piece of plexiglas from it. Write on the label, push it in the ground and they last for years. Just be careful raking in the spring. They blend in nicely with the soil and plants so it isnt just a "in your face" thing. He is very handy and had lots of the clear plexi around. I wonder if a piece of mini blind would work-but then it would be bright white.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

The paint pens will fade eventually if exposed to lots of sun. I have learned to write on both the front and back of the label. The back rarely fades away. If that doesn't work for you plain old pencil lasts for years and years, it's just that you have to pull the marker out to read it. (At least I do.) I usually get about two years from the paint pens on markers that take a lot of sun, more if it's shaded or protected by the plant, but so far have not had the backs of the markers fade.

• lazyweeder
    16 years ago

I have the p touch brother labeler model that was around $100. NICE machine. Love it. Only use the blinds as a temporary tag now. Everlast is where I got my labels from you won't be disappointed. Some of us went in on a 1000 for better pricing. I do have extra plant labels available if you don't need a ton.

• diggetydig
    16 years ago

Hi, I use the paint pens also on the zinc markers. I let them dry overnight and then us a clear coat paint (Clear paint in a spray can) and lightly cover the paint pen writing. Too heavy and the paint pen writing runs!!!!! Now lay them perfectly flat and let them dry. Once you have the first layer dried , four hours or so, you can put 2-3 more layers of clear paint on. Drying well between each coat of clear paint and have markers that last a long long time.

Happy labeling!!!

Vicki

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great idea, Vicki. I ordered 100 zinc tags from Everlast, hope they will be here next week.

Linda

• zenpotter
    16 years ago

I am coming in late here, but I am trying out "Impress-o-tags" that I ordered from Prairie Moon Nursery.

You write on them with a pen or pencil and it makes an impression right on the tag. Your could probably use a pointed stick for that matter. They come with a wire to attach them to a stake or some like thing. When you order a plant from them they come with one of the tags attached to a plastic stake. So I just cut blinds and punched a hole to run the wire through.

I tried a few out last summer and ordered 200 this spring. They cost $15 postage included for 100. I will give you the web site for the company that makes the. They cost more there.

http://www.rmi-online.com/browseproducts/Impress-O-Tags---Box-of-100.HTML

I have also included the Prairie Moon site. I buy a lot of my seeds from them and some plants as well.

Pauline

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon Nursery

• Julie
    16 years ago

Hi there-
    Over the years, I have found that the paint pens chip off leaving no trace of a name-
    Silver sharpie on darker mini blind markers lasts longer for me-
    Lables made with regular p-touch/brother tape faded in one winter-
    Pencil- although harder to read, has always stayed on a clean surfacce- tin- mini blind- copper- you name it! Even rubbing away the dirt has not removed the pencil!
    Thin copper strips you can impress work well for trees, shrubs and the like- but on/in the ground have worn away- or the metal has wrinkled to make it unreadable-
    A very nice marker I have seen is a computer printed photo and verbage reduced to business card size- and laminated (in business card or luggage laminator pockets-) and hung from a coiled wire- and rocks with sharpie or paint- although many of these are good- I have yet to find the BEST way to remember just what that there thing is-

• lazyweeder
    16 years ago

The TZ strong adhesive 1/2 inch tape is the I use for the brother labeler it's made for outdoor use. (so they say) I do mark the back of the tag with a marker just in case. I also have all the plants on a grid map too in case the tag gets pulled, or fade, or break. If those don't work I have a satellite photograph...

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A satellite photograph??? OMG Dave you kill me! LOL

Don't think I'll ever be that organized!

I got my zinc tags from Everlast yesterday and am going to try pencil for now. If that wears/washes off, I'll deal with it then. I like the fact that they are fairly unobtrusive. White plastic tags stuck out like sore thumbs in the gardens!

Linda

• kristal
    16 years ago

I use the mini blinds for temporary tags, but I use a grease pencil to write on them. It lasts at least three years, and I'm sure would write on other medium as well..

• leftwood
    16 years ago

I have also done what cnord describes with the wire stake with a coil on top to hang a name tag. In the fall, you can push them all the way into the soil so raking isn't a problem.

I don't know why anyone would use white tags of anything, if there is a choice of beige or black.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia