Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leatherwood All Sold

Posted by karenn3 z4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 14, 06 at 9:24

Drat, the elusive dirca escaped again. I went Saturday afternoon and all were sold, But I discovered that this vendor bought all his supply from Outback. Next year I will place an order in December. But thank you, Rick, though I didn't find the plant I learned something about supply and demand in MN and my own indecisiveness.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leatherwood All Sold

Bummer. Nice-looking plant. Did you check if Outback will have more yet this year?

o

Yes, when I called, the sales guy said no more for the season. Leatherwood grows so slowly that I'd splurge on a larger plant and not many nurseries have them in larger pots. Last year we drove to Outback to buy other native plants and they said they sold them all at the end of April. I wonder if contractors, landscapers buy them, not individuals. As an aside I don't have a handle on Outback and their mission. Perhaps they are
not really oriented towards the small buyer. Just a thought as I've only been there once and have to acknowledge that their inventory is great. Do you have greater experience with them and even their mailorder business? Their catalog doesn't indicate supply status.

o

I've been a few times and have gotten the impression that while they are very welcoming of the individual buyer, they also do a lot of "larger" business I think.

You might try calling the Arb. I hear they maintain some kind of database of which growers/nurseries sell which trees, so you might luck out and find a source for this year. Good luck!

o

I feel terrible about the leatherwood. I wonder if someone had bought a whole mess of 'em at once, and depleted the inventory.

I suppose the sign is still there at Outback for Tennant something(Landscaping, I think). Do you remember seeing such a sign? The two companies are affiliated and may have the same owner. So I am also guessing there is more to Outback than just retail sales.

The MN Landscape Arboretum Library does indeed have a good data base for finding who sells what plant. I don't see why you couldn't just call the Arb library and ask for the info.

Rick

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here