Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubybaby43

Weed or not?

rubybaby43
16 years ago

Hi! I haven't posted for quite some time. Things got hairy here over the past year. Trying to actually enjoy some gardening this year though.

I posted this question on the Weeds board a couple of days ago with no reply. Anyone have any idea what this plant is?

Weed Pic Link

Thanks for any help! I'd like to know whether to move it or remove it.

Kristy :)

Comments (6)

• adamterrie
    16 years ago

lilac??????????????

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh....that was a good guess! I had to go look at the suckers growing under my lilacs. It's not it.
    Several years ago my grandma died and I dug out what I believed to be some Phlox growing in her garden. They grew just like Phlox but never bloomed. Then later they got really woody. Then the little green worms were all over the plant. Anywhoo....this plant reminds me of the one I thought was Phlox. It's not the same plant...not even growing near the same spot. But I just wanted to throw that out there in case it helped ID this thing. I hate to leave it grow if it's going to choke my plants...but I also don't want to get rid of it in case it winds up being a diamond in the ruff.

• leftwood
    16 years ago

There are so many kinds of honeysuckle bushes (Lonicera species), perhaps one of them. There will be no taproot, and roots are very fibrous, but woody and strong. If you have any of the old wood around, you might find evidence of more than one bud where a leaf meets (or met) the stem. Leaves should be glabrous (not hairy). Stem is round in cross-section.

Looks to me like whatever it is, it's going to overtake your garden in no time. Save it if you want, but I'd dig it out now.

Rick

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Rick. I haven't had my caffeine yet. I am just now realizing that you replied on the weeds board too.

We built this house in 2001. This plant is about three feet away from where the hole was dug and the foundation poured. I do remember there being a clump of small trees/growth in the middle of the lot. Is it possible that after six years this "honeysuckle" could just now be coming back up after being trampled and plowed over?

I appreciate the help. If it is a honeysuckle I would like to give it a chance....somewhere else. Our neighbors have one that they salvaged after the build and it looks wonderful!

Thanks again!

• leftwood
    16 years ago

Honeysuckles, depending on the species, can be rampant volunteers. It could have come from across town if a bird ate a berry over there and "dropped" it in your garden. Who knows.

6 years, I don't think so. But it might have been hidden last year. This could be second year growth from seed, as honeysuckles are quite vigorous.

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think it may be honeysuckle....after inspecting my neighbors shrub. I think I'll dig it up best I can and try to get it to grow in the back where only select plantlife will grow. I have one area that gets a little midday sun. If it doesn't survive then that's fine too. I'm always looking for cheap ways to get more greenery growing in the "woods" back there. ;)

Thanks, Rick!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions