Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ash Borer

Posted by kaptainkr 4a (My Page) on
Tue, May 19, 09 at 9:33

Looks like last week the emerald ash borer was discovered in St. Paul. I guess we all knew it would be here eventually but I figured it would have been a few more years. I personally have 2 green ash in my yard that will eventually be replaced. I plan on planting two smaller trees near the ash, so that when the time comes they will (hopefully) be established. I just can't justify the expense and risk it would take in treating them. Any other thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ash Borer

I've often thought of Green Ash as just another weed tree so it won't be missed here by me.
I would much rather see folks planting Catalpa in their boulevards. Really gorgeous blooms in June.

o

We have a Green Ash in our South Mpls yard that's about 65-75 years old and 7' 8" around. I would hate to lose it! I just happened to have a tree guy come out today to talk about proactively treating it. Treatment would be round $250 and has to happen annually (at least until they find a way to eradicate the bug-- which basically means forever). He thought we'd be safe waiting until the Fall to start regular treatments. I did a little reading about the insecticide Imidacloprid. It is sold under several brand names, including Merit and Xytect. It has me a bit worried-- particularly the mention of a "possible link to derangement of behavior in domesticated honeybees."

I, too, was thinking of planting a young tree in my Ash's shadow just in case. I really like where the tree is now. How close can you plant a young tree next to a mature one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Imidacloprid @ Wikipedia

o

I would not listen to a tree man. Read the link below and decide treatment for yourself. Treatment is less successful on older trees. You can certainly do the treatments yourself.

I used to think of ash as a weed tree-- until I bought a house with 20 of them. I'm hoping that the insect release progam that has been successful in Michigan can be started here next year. Sounds like it will solve the problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: emerald ash borer bulletin

o

Thanks for the link, tom. I understand some over-used trees may be thought of as weeds, but any landscape tree 65+ years old and over 30 feet tall is worth saving. Its at least worth investigating options.

We only have two trees on our city lot (not counting the boulevard trees), the other is huge white pine. If the ash was a small, 10-15 yr old tree, I'd just plant a replacement near it and wait to see what comes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here