Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubybaby43

Columbine

rubybaby43
16 years ago

I was so excited that last year my columbine leaves did not succumb to worms. Ugh....they're back! Anyone else having this problem? It seems so early this year. By the time I noticed they were there the leaves were skeletons.

Kristy :\

Comments (9)

• luvmydaisies
    16 years ago

Yes I have the gross worms on my columbine too, and last year I had them terrible and it seenms like my columbine didn't all come back this year either. I was told that I could use Bt on it but I haven't tried because by the time I notice the worms have pretty much defoliated the plants.

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

I don't have the little green worms *yet*, I have leaf miners *sigh*
    -Marie

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love Columbine so much....but I am getting tired of how ugly the plants look. And I always notice when it's too late.

I am having a problem with a few other plants too. I'm tempted to yank out all of my Yarrow. I have little red bugs on them and they make the plant look pretty bad during the first half of summer too. And I have noticed this year that my Penstemon seem to have a pest as well. Does anyone know anything about that? I hate the thought of losing those!!

Kristy

• entling
    16 years ago

Hi - I'm not a Minnesotan, I just thought I'd take a peek, but I have the same problem with the little green beasties devouring columbines. I've discovered that there is a nonchemical way to thwart them. As soon as the plants leaf out in Spring I inspect the leaves daily, paying particular attention to the underside of the leaves. If I see any of the larva, I squish them. The infestation lasts about 3 weeks, then all larva mature into flies, & there is no problem with them for the rest of the season. The crisis has passed this year, & I have not lost any buds and had minimal foliage loss.
    Last year, before I figured this out, I lost all buds & nearly all leaves on several plants.

• doucanoe
    16 years ago

No visible bugs on mine, but I also have leaf miners. Every year I have have leaf miners on the columbine. Any ideas how to get rid of them?

Linda

• clark106
    16 years ago

I have had the same problem, but this year I'm using spinosad, an organic insecticide which is suppposed to get the worms, leaf miners, and thrips. I'll keep you posted on the results.

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was out bird watching yesterday near the lake we like to fish on and I ran across a couple of wild Columbine....with all their leaves in tact. I wonder what the difference is? Are certain varieties more susceptible?

Please keep us posted, Clark! I know it's not that big of a deal to pluck bugs but I'm really bad about getting out there to do that kind of stuff in a timely manner. Maybe looking for an easier-to-maintain garden makes me less of a gardner than I used to be....but the less time I spend bug-plucking the better. ;)

Thanks for the replies!
    Kristy :)

• selkie_b
    16 years ago

rubybaby,

Half my wild ones are fine, half are eaten. It doesn't seem to matter what type they are, nor their location - THOUGH it does seem that the ones most infested are the ones that get a bit more light than the others.

-Marie

• rubybaby43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THOUGH it does seem that the ones most infested are the ones that get a bit more light than the others.

Interesting! I do have a volunteer in the backyard where it sees daylight...but not much more than that. I've noticed it's been stripped of leaves as well. I don't know if this is a wild one or a "bird planted" seedling from my own or someone else's garden. Either way I gotta find me something to spray on these fellows to keep this from happening in the early seasons. Something that won't harm my toad and bird friends.

Kristy :)

Sponsored