Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 4 fruit trees for espalier ?

Posted by mandolls 4 (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 10:26

I am in WI, (close to the Twin Cities) but this forum seems much more active than the WI forum. Does anyone have any suggestions for dwarf fruit trees that do well in this part of the country?

I have been wanting fruit (probably apples, pears, cherries?) But I dont want any more shade in my yard, so thought an espaliered fence between the house and the new veg garden would be perfect.

Does any one have fruit trees growing that they are especially happy with? Or ones they have had bad luck with?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 4 fruit trees for espalier ?

I grew a couple of North Star cherries for a good 20 years (pretty much their life span from what I can tell) and liked them a lot. Great pie cherries, nice and tart. I don't know why you couldn't grow them as espaliers. Gary

o
RE: Zone 4 fruit trees for espalier ?

I agree with Gary's recommendation. I have a North Star cherry that I espaliered and it looked great that way until our neighbor's soft maple shed a limb and wiped out one whole side of my creation. Since then, I've let it grow to a more natural shape. Excellent pie cherry!

I also have a dwarf Haralson apple espaliered. If you're getting a full-size variety (larger than the cherries) of some kind, I'd recommend the dwarfing rootstock. Keeping growth in check becomes a challenge once the tree becomes established. Give it a shot. If I had more room, I'd try plums and apricots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here