Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodi_4

HELP Arborvites damaged from late spring snowstorm

jodi_4
10 years ago

The snow is finally gone after getting over 15 inches last week and I have a number of 12 to 15 ft. arborvites that were splayed in all different directions from it. I also lost a beautiful 20 ft tall pyramid juniper that was bent over from the snow, and then a big chunk of snow dropped off the roof and snapped the main trunk. :(
We are in process of cleaning up all the damage, and am wondering will the bent arborvites be salvagble? Can I tie them up somehow so they grow straight again? I am hoping they are fixable, cause they would be extremely expensive to replace, and we need them for privacy. They run all along one side of our property.

Comments (4)

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Jodi - If they haven't straightened up by now on their own, most likely they won't. One of my 25 year old arborvites took a big hit also on the last dumping of snow and didn't make it. We cut her down on Monday:(. I don't know if gently tying them upright with garden twine will get them to grow straight on their own, but it won't hurt to try either. I'd drive a large steel fence post and secure twine to it......

• soilent_green
    10 years ago

Last year an ice storm bent a 12 foot blue spruce of mine over until it was parallel to the ground. I tied a rope to the trunk of a large tree nearby and then loosely looped a rope around the trunk approximately half way between the bend point and the tip of the tree. I protected the trunk from the rope with an old piece of carpet. With another person helping, I immediately cinched the tree up to approximately the forty-five degree position (until I felt resistance), tied the rope off, and left it in that position for a month. After that, every two weeks or so I pulled the tree up a little more and tied the rope off again to let the tree adjust. Did this for two months or so until it was completely straightened up again. Left the rope on for a while even after the tree was completely straightened to give it time to strengthen. Took the rope off and the tree has been doing well ever since.

If you do not have anything nearby to tie off on, and being that the trees are bent in different directions, I would consider getting auger-style earth anchors. They work great, fairly easy to install, are removable when no longer needed, are reasonably priced, and should be available at local big box fleet and lumber stores. Definitely remove them immediately when they are no longer needed or they will be forgotten and then become dangerous mowing and trip hazards with the steel loop protruding above soil level.

An example can be seen here if you are not familiar:
    Earth Anchors

Good Luck,
    -Tom

• jodi_4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks both for your response.
    Tom since the arb's are along the property line, I don't have anything to tie them to but your idea of the auger style stakes is a great idea. Definitely worth a try before going and cutting them down, and having to start all over. Actually we decided to call out a professional arborist to come take out the juniper and it's mate, since they were flanking a large bank of windows and it would look really odd to have just the one. I will ask him to give us their professional opinion on the arbs, since we have other shrubs we need cleaned up and would need a very large truck to haul out all the debris.

• soilent_green
    10 years ago

Forgot to mention that if anyone uses the auger-style earth anchor idea, depending on the length be careful about any underground power or phone lines. Such lines are supposed to be buried deep but I prefer not to take any chances, especially if a person is considering placing an anchor in a utility easement. Be safe not stupid. Death by earth auger would be stupid, no? ;)

Sponsored