Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron & Yew

Posted by cnord 4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 10:53

The Rhod. is probably about 15 yrs old. Bloomed beautifully this year. I would say it is about 5 ft tall. Suddenly it is wilting/dying. I have been very good about keeping it watered in our dry, windy weather. Do they have a short life span? Cant rem the variety but it is the one recommended for our climate, lavender flowers. I have had them before and if I remember they didnt live very long either.
Also, when is the best time to trim a Yew? Never can rem' if you wait for the new growth to harden or trim it before then. It is a very tall upright, one that I love but is now taking over the neighbors sidewalk! I thought I would try to shape it a little so that it fits its own space and not everyone elses!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron & Yew

Have you put on some Epsom salts on the rhodie? Give it a tablespoon sprinkled around the base and water it in. Also a dose of Miracid would not be amiss! If those don't perk it up, don't loose hope just yet... it is a natural response to the excessive heat and dry we've had.

Rhodies if fed and taken care of can live to be a hundred easily in the Pacific Northwest, so why not here? :)

-Marie

o

Thanks Marie-never tried the Epsom salts. And I know what you mean about the long lived rhodies elsewhere. I am originally from Penna and we used to have them as big as a garage. I will keep my fingers crossed.

o

Epsom salts should be applied every-other year in low doses. That family of plants needs the extra magnesium :)

-Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here