Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for a ground cover?

Posted by fidgiegirl 4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 11:07

Hi all

I was just perusing the MN forum and I need to be on here more often! I am in St. Paul.

Background: Need a groundcover that can form the edge of a new bed. It is really ratty . . . I sheet mulched the top, but it is kind of an elevated area and so what needs coverage is the edge that slopes sharply down to the alley. It is about 8" tall. Of course, no sheet mulch stayed on top of this edge so it is either grass or naked. We don't want to spend the money on a retaining wall.

My question: What is a groundcover that will tolerate crappy soil, winter salt, partial shade, dry conditions?

THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for a ground cover?

Up at the lake I have the area that's next to the gravel road that has the worst soil since the grater shoves the gravel into the area. I planted low lying sedums, ajuga and ribbon grass and it grows like crazy. It's holding the gravel up at the road and not letting it waah down the hill into the remaining flower bed (entire hill is a flower bed).

o

Gold Moneywort or Golden Creeping Jenny. The same thing just two different names. It grows like crazy and is a bright golden color. It has yellow flowers, but they are hardly noticeable.

o

I've never used it myself, but I have heard that gro-lo sumac is good for that situation. Ours friends used it on a steep slope in front of their house and are happy with it.

o

Sedum...you really do not have to worry about it...also the creeping jenny...even moneywort if it is surrounded by cement, that will filling quickly...
If you would like some sedum I am also in St Paul and have plenty to share

o

I have 2 beautiful beds of Pacysandria (sp?) that I brought to Minnesota with me from Pennsylvania. Another name for it is Allegheny Spurge-which might tell me something I dont want to know! It is lovely, thick no care. I did sink some edging around it to keep it out of the lawn. another ground cover I like is Vinca/Myrtle. It has lovely blue flowers, takes sun or shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here