Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columbine Flower

Posted by pandalovesyou USA (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 11:09

I bought a pre-established columbine flower from a nursery about two years ago. It did fine the first summer and then came back beautifully last summer. So far this spring, I have seen no sign of it although the new one I bought last spring is already starting to bloom.

Should I consider it a lost cause, or should I be patient and wait a little longer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columbine Flower

I would be surprised if it will come back this year. I have had some absent on year and back the next. I would suggest giving it a bit more time.

o

If I remember correctly, Columbine have a pretty short lifespan but will reseed themselves if they are happy with their location. I don't know if that's the case with yours....but I'd give it time. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Good luck!
Kristy :)

o

Most Columbine are bi-annuals and only live two-three years. I grew them from seed last year, they stayed small and spindly with no flowers, but this year they are already almost the size of the greenhouse / container grown plants I have seen in the garden centers - I will have 40 columbines !! I have more seeds started now for next years crop. My neighbor says that hers just re-seed themselves every year, but if you only have one or two planted, or are an aggressive weeder in the spring, then you may miss out.

o

I have several columbine and most are doing very well. However the "Denver Gold" variety I bought last summer did not come back, nor did the two deep blue ones I got at swaps a few years ago.

Very weird, especially the blue ones. But my "Raspberry Pixie" daylily that I got from Suzie about 5 years ago did not come back this spring and it has bloomed happily in the same spot for all those years!

Stufff like that always amazes me.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here