Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobomcdo

At last, sun & warmth! What veggies are you planting?

bobomcdo
13 years ago

I'll be replanting the parsley seeds that the squirrels dug up, and also radishes, second planting of carrots, cukes, radishes, and maybe zucchini. How about you, Minnesota gardeners?

Comments (6)

• greenthumbelina7
    13 years ago

I'm so excited it's nice again! I'm even taking a day off of work next week to get everything in the ground. I have too many vegetables to name but my most exciting crop is the peppers that I started back in February. I have 5 different hot peppers, purple, white, yellow, orange, red and green bell peppers. Also, like you carrots, and zucchini, then some peas, pumpkins, watermelon, the list goes on. I have planted all of these veggies in the past with success so this year I've decided to try my hand at a flower garden as well.

Are you starting from seeds or transplants?!

• bobomcdo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, the zucchini will be transplants. Last year I bought three lovely plants from the farmers market and they grew like gangbusters, so I'll do that again. The carrots I started from seed and the rest will also be from seed since they grew well last year, my first year trying to grow food. I was also lucky with a transplanted tomato plant last year that grew insanely big and (at the end of summer!) produced tons of little yellow pear-shaped tomatoes. I'm hoping to have at least one tomato transplant again this year. I'm a novice veggie grower, I have an established flower garden that seems less daunting! This year, I'll also be growing more herbs in pots along with sun coleus and florals. My veggie bed is all ready for planting but it's been so cold!

• greenthumbelina7
    13 years ago

That's great! I always did my big plants as transplants too, just seems more of a done deal that way. This year I will have to purchase a tomato plant or 2 but I decided for a bit of a challenge with everything else. I'm thinking about going to Noble Garden Center in Blaine to get one, I've heard good things about it. I guess we're opposites because the flower garden is daunting for me!

I'm so glad it's finally warm enough to enjoy going out and gardening!

• izzy58
    13 years ago

well, i am solely a flower gardener but i did plant my morning glory plants today. i had 2 blue plants and 2 mixed color plants. by 6pm the mixed ones were just fine but the blue plants are practically dead!! go figure!! anyways, my grape vines got nipped by the frost last weekend but i am sure they will spring back. its sure nice to be able to go work in my yard instead of watching it through the door!! Happy Whatever Gardening You Do!!

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

Spring is finally back!!!

I'm hoping to have my veg. garden ready for plantings and transplants tomorrow. I took the year off last year (other than a few tomatoes in containers) and am starting a new garden this year. We'll do cucumber, zuccini, beans, tomatoes, and pumpkins for sure. Need to finish planning tonight.

What kinds of tomatoes do you all prefer? I will probably make some salsa, but will mainly have them for sandwiches and just plain (or w/ mot. cheese and vinegar). Any recommendations?

Greenthumbelina - Noble usually has very nice stuff, although I've never shopped there for veggies. I also like Tamblyn's Nursery. It's a family run business just east of Noble. Their veggies and herbs are nice and as cheap as I've seen.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

• greenthumbelina7
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip, maybe I will have to stop by there too, I believe I've heard of it before. Can't wait to get some veggies in the ground!
    Tina

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio