Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Seed Selection?

Posted by carmellia z 4 Minn (My Page) on
Wed, May 24, 06 at 11:21

Would you please take the time to post any place you can think of that has a better than average selection of seed?

I am looking for CASTOR BEAN seed (misplaced the ones I saved last year) and PEARL ONION (or wax onion) seeds. Last year, I paid almost $8 for 1 pkg of pearl onion seed. $2.75 for the seed and $4.95 shipping.

I live in Kenyon, but someplace in the Faribault area or the Hastings area or St. Paul area would also be very handy for me.

Am I the only one who thinks that the variety of seeds available from the rack has been steadily shrinking from year to year? I can remember seeing seeds for lots of things I had never even heard of. Now, it is just the most basic seeds - both vegetable and flower.

Thanks a lot. I've GOT to have my pearl onions but I won't pay another $8 for a package of seed. Carmellia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Seed Selection?

Hi Carmellia

I live in near Mantorville, so were practically neighbors! I dont know any place in our neck-of-the-woods that sell pearl onions specifically. I am unclear if pearl onions are a specific type or just a common variety that might be a short day instead of a long day. I have been growing a variety of onions for years, but have always used either plants or seeds. I dislike using sets (the bulbs); they never make really good onions and they store poorly. The best source I have found for seeds is on the Internet from Harvest Moon Farms at http://www.felcopruners.net/Onion Seed - Spring.0.html The Barlettas might do well. If you are using the pearls for pickling you might try Cippolini for a change, I have pickled them many times and people love them. Unfortunately seeds need to be started fairly early, like in February. For storage onions, I always plant Copra because they can store for up to a year in the right conditions. I use plants and get them from Dixondale at http://www.dixondalefarms.com/products.htm. I actually have several bundles left over that you can have if you want to come get them.

o
RE: Best Seed Selection?

Thanks for the info and suggestions. The pearl onions are sometimes called wax onions too. I think it is just a type of onion. They are very small - about the size of a little button mushroom. Sometimes they are used in cocktails - Gibsons I think. I love them pickled.

I thank you for the offer of your extra onions, but I have finally given up trying to grow the full sized variety. I have never ever had luck with them. For some reason, those little wax onions are so much easier to grow. Carmellia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Minnesota Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here